Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am really intreseted in hunting outside my home state and have been doing some research but the nonresident prices for a tag a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am really intreseted in hunting outside my home state and have been doing some research but the nonresident prices for a tag a

I am really intreseted in hunting outside my home state and have been doing some research but the nonresident prices for a tag and licsense are pretty ridiculous compared to the resident price. Montana antelope $19 vs $205 or black bear $19 vs $350. Colorado boasts a $49 resident either sex elk tag and $554 for nonresidents. Those are just tag prices. It doesnt include a licsense. Do states make that much off nonresident hunters or are they just trying to discourage nonresident hunters?

one , because they like your money like the feds. two, so ppl dont overflow in a elk state. im guessing them wanting your money is a big factor

Comment

IF YOU CAN AFFORD AN OUT OF STATE TRIP THEN THE LICENSE FEES ARE INSIGNIFICANT.

Comment

They absolutely want your money. Wyoming however, only requires that you buy a tag, no additional license, and a small habitat fee. The other issue is paying to hunt on private property. That can be as much or probably more than the tag. But as 6 Point said the cost is just part of the trip.

Comment

It's also that the states want to keep their residents hunting in their own states and to encourage people to hunt in state with out it being expensive so more people will do it.

Comment

I am glad that 6phunter put "if" in all caps because that is the big word. I totally understand what you are saying but when the price of the licesnse, tag, travel, lodge, meals, etc. dictates wheather I can go on this hunt, the fees become very significant. Especially since I am a young U.S. Marine. Have you taken a look at the military pay chart lately? We barely make more than McDonalds workers for the first few years. Look at what an E3 with less than two years in makes a month.

Comment

I would also confirm the largest part of it is the money. I would guess in a large elk state, non-resident license fees can help contribute to a big part of their funding.

I do wonder if part of it isn't the fact that perhaps their state's dept. of natural resources wants to limit and/or attempt to discourage non-resident or out of state hunters. I would guess this may be just part of it, but I honestly don't know how significant that would truly be. Regardless of whether a non-resident or a local harvests the animal, the fact of the matter remains - the animal is being harvested.

Comment

it is true that nonresidents help foot the bills for our (Montana) FW&P dept. Resident prices are by law, generally 10% of the nonresident tag fees in MT but 10% of all tags in the drawings are set aside for nonresidents.
                it is a market driven economy. there are only so many places you can hunt elk or antelope, or big horn sheep. if you are willing to put in the time and research and willing to do a do-it-yourself hunt on the millions of acres of Federal land in the West..then your opportunities are there for a great hunt.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X