Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, My dream is to go elk hunting and to learn to call. I have found myself watching the hunts on tv, and I see the hunters way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, My dream is to go elk hunting and to learn to call. I have found myself watching the hunts on tv, and I see the hunters way

Hey, My dream is to go elk hunting and to learn to call. I have found myself watching the hunts on tv, and I see the hunters way out in the back country wondering around. My question is how do they find there way back to camp.

My guess is that most probably use a GPS, or a map and a compass.

Comment

I just use my instincts, Always make a mental map, remember the trees & the way the earth is formed, look back to see how a area looks if you need to come back the same way. You do this naturaly after so many times packing out meat, your always trying to remember the easiest way back.

Comment

They probably just ask the cameraman or production manager.

Comment

I can just about guarantee they have guides if they are on TV. You, on the otherhand, may not have a guide and will have to use your own wits and common sense to find your way back. Or a GPS.

Comment

Be careful about using DJH's plan... I have gotten into a little bit of trouble with that method. (No offense DJH, but palefaces get lost and die in them hills all the time.)
            1. Learn to use a compass and a map.
            2. GPS is a backup
            3. Land navigation is a perishable skill. Keep practicing. Not all of us are legends like DJH.

Comment

The Captain, is right I 'm not a expert nor have I've taking any classes to be one :-) my ways are years of experience & often forget that not everyone has the same amount of experience as others. no offence took'n captain, if you want to meet a true outdoor legend you gota meet my dad :-) I'm talking about a guy who rides his mountain bike 5 miles to the base of the range hikes to the peak, takes his pick of herds of mountain goats, shoots one, capes, de-bones, packs it out to the bike, ties his pack to the bike,rides back 5 miles & he will get very upset with me if I offer any kind of help. Hey wanna ride up? nope, you sure you dont want me to come? nope, want me to meet you when you get to your bike & haul your pack in the truck? nope, lol the apple realy doesn't fall far from the tree :-) he reads OL.com by the way also but knowing my dad he wont break the silence :-)

Comment

well i would just dring duck tape and put it on a tree every 100 yards or so

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                  by Ernie
                  I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                  hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                  10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X