Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello! I am getting ready to retire and would like to move out west to one of three states. Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado. I w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! I am getting ready to retire and would like to move out west to one of three states. Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado. I w

Hello! I am getting ready to retire and would like to move out west to one of three states. Arizona, New Mexico or Colorado. I would like to do quite a bit of big game hunting in my retirement. Mostly elk, mule deer, mountain lion, pronghorn and bear. What state would be my best bet so that I can enjoy my retirement hunting? Thanks!

All three have some excellant hunting, I know that AZ and NM have great elk, mule deer, pronghorn and bear hunting. I don't really know much about CO. I would do alot of research on this. One thing I would look into first is the cost of living for all three, then make some calls to the parks and wildlife offices to see what they have to say. Most important if you're married check with the wife.

Comment

One thing you may want to consider is the availability of tags for the animals you wish to hunt. AZ for example does have elk but drawing a tag to hunt them is another matter altogether. Conversely, Colorado has a lot of places where you can but tags over the counter. I would take a long look at all three states hunting regulations before making a decision. Another idea to ponder would be where in the state you would like to live. One idea would be to look at areas in the Four Corners area where the states of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona meet. You may find yourself in the perfect spot to enjoy what each state has to offer without having to drive too far to get to any of them. Utah has many National Parks and some of the best hiking and scenery available. Trout fishing at Navajo Dam in New Mexico is excellent. See where I’m going with this? Good luck!

Comment

colorado would be my pik.good cat hunting also

Comment

i know that colorado has earbs and cats and some elk but i dont know about the others.

Comment

I haven't hunted the southwest, I have hunted Wy, Id, Co. and Ut. The friendliest state of all for resident hunters I think, is Idaho, unless things have changed. They have all the game you want at friendly instate prices and easy access, lots of great country to hunt, the down side, they are losing the elk herd to the wolves. Colorado I think is over populated with hunters but lots of elk,too touristy for me. Wyoming has great hunting but not enough good areas to hunt. Cannot recommend Utah.

Comment

if it were me i would pick colorado they also have your deer in the upper state

Comment

Colorado of course. Colorado has all of this and more, to include some of the best trout fishing in the country. Colorado has the largest elk population in the country.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                  by Scott123
                  Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                  Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                • Blade Stain
                  by jhjimbo
                  Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                  Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                • Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X