Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting ready to go on a late season cow elk hunting trip this weekend in the Eastern Oregon silvies unit. Should I hunt wit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting ready to go on a late season cow elk hunting trip this weekend in the Eastern Oregon silvies unit. Should I hunt wit

I'm getting ready to go on a late season cow elk hunting trip this weekend in the Eastern Oregon silvies unit. Should I hunt with a 30-06 or a 300 magnum? If so, why? Any other tips please!

Hunt with gun that is most accurate when you are shooting it. They both will kill an elk quite effectively.

Comment

If you shoot the 300 mag well with the right ammo that's what I would take. The bullet will have more downrange energy and shoot flatter than the '06 on the longer shots, if you need to take one. The elk is much bigger than a deer and harder to take down, even with a well placed shot. I have seen elk run a long way with little to no blood with a good shot from my 300wsm.

Comment

If there are Bears in the in your neck of the woods
        I woult use your 300W/Mag for Elk its a none fact
        that when you gut your Elk," Bears" will come in.
        BE Sharp and Safe Good Hunting

Comment

The 30-06 is all you need......either one will do if..... you place the bullet.

Comment

I'd say the .300 magnum. Enough power and range to take an ethical and efficient kill on any game animal in North America with the right bullet.

Comment

Use which ever one your most comfortable with, the 06 will kill your animal just as fast as the 300. I have a friend that lives and hunts in western oregon and he took the 14th largest elk ever taken in oregon, with his 308. Iv'e killed elk, moose and bear and never used anything but my 270 or 06. Shot placement is more important than caliber. If your going to shoot a half a mile use the 300 if not go with the 06.faster bullets don't kill faster than slower bullets, the 30/30 proved that years ago. And you picked great state to hunt elk in, good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X