Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While scouting on government land you find flagging tape marking trails to stand locations. Do you leave it or consider the flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PigHunter
    replied
    Most of the public land I hunt is leased by the State from timber companies. Sometimes flagging tape is used to mark boundaries and trees that are not to be cut during a thinning. So, I'm very careful to leave those markers alone.

However, old and faded flagging tape along obviously unused trails needs to be taken out of the woods if not used for marking trees and boundaries.

In the swamp, I often use temporary markers on the way in that I can follow back to the canoe in the dark. I retrieve the markers on the return.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    Leave it you have no right to remove it!
    Even on public land Treestand?

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by AMM0 View Post
    A lot of hunters at the end of the season forget to remove their flagging tape on accident. If the tape looks like it's been out in the elements for a few seasons, I'd opt to remove it.
    Ditto, that's what I do too.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Kody View Post
    I got one of those Bushnell tracking devices that you mark your stand, your truck location and one other spot if required. It is perfect for those of us who are technically handicapped. It also has the advantage of not leaving crap behind in the woods. Two seasons ago, I found myself in the dark and in the midst of a blizzard as I tried to retrace my steps from the goose hunting blind to the truck. When I hit the fence line I had no idea in which direction to walk, my flashlight could do little in the darkness with the heavy blowing snow. Understand, finding some marker tape would have been like finding a needle in a haystack. I guessed right but was ready to turn around moments before I stumbled on to the pick up truck. I made some hints that Christmas and got one those little devices as a gift. I carry it every time I go hunting. I put the markers in place regardless of how silly and unnecessary it might seem at the time.
    I wear a wrist mounted GPS for the same reason

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jspfirefighter View Post
    if they appear to be old markers i would remove them. they were probably left by a lazy hunter. fresh markings i would leave with hopes that whomever left them would be resposible enough to remove them at the end of thir usefulness
    That's exactly what I do most of the time

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    Old tape I've pulled. reflectors that were mine I grab after a second trip into an area becuase I typically no longer need em and don't like to leave such an obvious sign. I leave others tacks becuase I don't want to ruin someone's day, and I like to know where they're going.
    The tacks are often not even noticeable during the day.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark-O View Post
    If I'm Scouting, like the question says, that's well before the season starts. I'd look at the flagging and if it looks like its been there for a bit of time (a month or more), I remove it as though it was trash.
    You'd be surprised how much of this crap I find in the woods. And, much of the stuff used is surveyor's tape. That stuff is not biodegradable, in fact, its designed to be darn near indestructible.
    Good point. If it's obviously faded from being there several years

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by www.dropjhook.com View Post
    If it was along a trail I would leave it, if there's a bunch in one area that might be the works of shed hunters marking where they found a shed & where they already looked for the matching shed. I do remove the shed hunting flags, you will notice the difference the shed hunting flags are near or right in the animals bedding area. Makes me wonder what happen to the traditional way of remembering your way by paying attention & remembering the trees!
    That's where a GPS would be handy for shed hunters to use

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by mesarich View Post
    If I did not put it up I would not want to take it down. Some hunter may have a problem finding his stand without it. That said, after the season the hunter who put it out should come back and pick it up.
    Great answer, it shows a live and let live attitude.

Leave a comment:

• mwoller
    replied
    if it's goverment land there should be rules about this type of thing. You can always report it if it's not suposed to be there. usally you can't leave stands on gov. land either.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Leave it you have no right to remove it!

Leave a comment:

• AMM0
    replied
    A lot of hunters at the end of the season forget to remove their flagging tape on accident. If the tape looks like it's been out in the elements for a few seasons, I'd opt to remove it.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    I got one of those Bushnell tracking devices that you mark your stand, your truck location and one other spot if required. It is perfect for those of us who are technically handicapped. It also has the advantage of not leaving crap behind in the woods. Two seasons ago, I found myself in the dark and in the midst of a blizzard as I tried to retrace my steps from the goose hunting blind to the truck. When I hit the fence line I had no idea in which direction to walk, my flashlight could do little in the darkness with the heavy blowing snow. Understand, finding some marker tape would have been like finding a needle in a haystack. I guessed right but was ready to turn around moments before I stumbled on to the pick up truck. I made some hints that Christmas and got one those little devices as a gift. I carry it every time I go hunting. I put the markers in place regardless of how silly and unnecessary it might seem at the time.

Leave a comment:

• jspfirefighter
    replied
    if they appear to be old markers i would remove them. they were probably left by a lazy hunter. fresh markings i would leave with hopes that whomever left them would be resposible enough to remove them at the end of thir usefulness

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    Old tape I've pulled. reflectors that were mine I grab after a second trip into an area becuase I typically no longer need em and don't like to leave such an obvious sign. I leave others tacks becuase I don't want to ruin someone's day, and I like to know where they're going.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X