Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given the available technology today, much emphasis is placed on scent control while hunting big game animals. However, as any s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• www.dropjhook.com
    replied
    I know this area & the deer was used of this huge herd of cattle, the cows turned down hill perfectly right before we toped the 2 ridge. I look back & I could see my friend trying to keep up but just as I thought he got off the trail. So I decide I will wait to top the ridge because I know there always hanging out by the herds over this ridge top. Any less of a friend woul LOL while watching him stumble closer & closer. He finally get's to me & says what kind of person jogs in this type of insane country for fun? shhhhh there just over the hill they didnt here us because the cows. Yeah right that big of a herd moving like that scared everything for miles! shhh come on I'll show you, we walk about 35 paces & out springs a monster mule deer the mass on him was unreal. By time I got the cross hairs on him he was all the way to the bottom making his escape across the vally. All we could do was watch threw the bino's & swear a few times. he says djh I dont know how but you always find a way to amaze me.

Leave a comment:

• www.dropjhook.com
    replied
    charlie elk, the dung, reminded me of a time when I had a childhood friend move back home from the city life. He asked me to take him out hunting because he was in good shape he was a "firefighter". Well ok but it's not going to be easy. So I take him to my favorite mule deer hunting area, its land scape- rolling rocky hills full of sage. Well he was making a point to try & stay ahead of me because he was a "firefighter". So we come up on a huge herd of cows & they start stumbling side hill, hes bent over gasping & he says oh dang cows guess we better turn back. Huh? Turn back what do you mean, if we keep up with these cows they will cover our noise & we will be in the deer within 2 more ridges. He half chuckled like I was crazy, So I took of jogging because I knew the trail I was on was the only place that a human could keep a high pace without falling. I knew if he didn't stay on my heels he would lose the one I use & get on the wrong trail & theres no way you could keep a jogging pace.

Leave a comment:

• www.dropjhook.com
    replied
    charlie elk, :-) ) ) )! You know I never really paid attention to the smell up until she said something about it (Nothing bad). picture this- Me walking in the door soaked up past the knees, tired from the long windy,raining side ways hike. All I had in mind was hot food & the bed,before I took one step from the door to the direction of the kitchen "go take a shower & i will warm up your food". ummmmm ok why I would rather eat first "Well you smell like the woods & it's very strong". ohhh ok. "Strong yeah right" So I get done eating later on "Can you run to the store for me" yeah, As I open the vehicle door whoooo thats what she's talking about it smelled as strong as at the time of applying the smell of the woods. I wasent done yet when I came home & opend the door whoo it smelled like I was growing a tree farm in my living room. I told her I understand now what she's talking about she said "I don't mind it to much at least I know where you been" I chuckled for a sec & left it at that.

Leave a comment:

• www.dropjhook.com
    replied
    charlie elk, :-) ) ) )! You know I never really paid attention to the smell up until she said something about it (Nothing bad). picture this- Me walking in the door soaked up past the knees, tired from the long windy,raining side ways hike. All I had in mind was hot food & the bed,before I took one step from the door to the direction of the kitchen "go take a shower & i will warm up your food". ummmmm ok why I would rather eat first "Well you smell like the woods & it's very strong". ohhh ok. "Strong yeah right" So I get done eating later on "Can you run to the store for me" yeah, As I open the vehicle door whoooo thats what she's talking about it smelled as strong as at the time of applying the smell of the woods. I wasent done yet when I came home & opend the door whoo it smelled like I was growing a tree farm in my living room. I told her I understand now what she's talking about she said "I don't mind it to much at least I know where you been" I chuckled for a sec & left it at that.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    It's lights out long before an animal gets close enough to smell any gun oil.
    DJH not following orders absolutely leaves me aghast like Kody said who would have thought? Now we understand why Mrs DJH washes your ball caps. Whew! rolling around in pine sap and dung will take its toll on the more sensitive delicate female nostrils.
    ;-)
    later,
    charlie

Leave a comment:

• www.dropjhook.com
    replied
    The Captain, your last post gave me good laugh, I'm sure you feel like a cartoon sometimes in your own mind. I just wonder what the people who have the business end of your weapons pointing towards them imagine you as? Look at the crazy guy falling all over place, he's covered in mud what a savage wait a minute he has a gun, OMG he's coming this way RUN! RUN!

Leave a comment:

• the captain
    replied
    DJH, I agree that Hunter is a good name... kinda partial of it myself. As for being no good at taking orders, I understand. It's not always easy... that's all I'll say on that.
    As far as scent control, I have never had many issues with that. Typically, when you storm through the brush with the subtlety of a Sherman tank, fall into every hole in the woods and generally look like a cartoon caked in mud, covering scent is not your biggest problem.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    Pineywoods, Remington's hypersonic steel load is great stuff. I am going to write my comments in the message section under ammunition.
    Kody

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    Who on this forum would ever have guessed that Dropjhook is not one for taking orders???

Leave a comment:

• www.dropjhook.com
    replied
    The Captain, Sounds like fun, hey I never told you I had a son named hunter also (Great name). Back to blow stuff up, who would pass on that better yet if you can find a place in the military for a guy who loves stalking things & wouldn't mind if a fire fight ended in a upclose knife throwing contest, What am I saying I'm not good with taking orders, I guess you probly wouldn't need any more rebels then there already is in that part of the world. So just make sure to make it home safe captain & we can go from there :-)

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    i try to keep excess gun oils and solvents to a minumum ,i wipe the metal with rubbing alchohol to diminish the smell /i'll clean my weapons if they get wet or fouled during season.i agree you can only do so much for scent control but at least we can remove from us as much as common sense dictates.forget the wind? not hardly. forget scent control? do what you can.

Leave a comment:

• the captain
    replied
    DJH, I think I could learn some real field craft from you... we need to arrange a "student exchange program."
    As part of this proposal, I would get to hunt Montana with you and learn field craft. In your part of the exchange program you could come to my next post, shoot machine guns and learn how to blow up/destroy anything in your path. Sound good?

Leave a comment:

• Cgull
    replied
    After cleaning my guns I run a patch of lard down the barrel, followed by a dry patchs to remove any excess. I've lubed my muzzleloaders with nothing but lard from the box as suggested by an old timer. He said lard was all folks had back in the day and that the heat from shooting will burn the lard into the barrel making it non stick much like a cast iron skillet. My barrels are as slick as they were a decade and a half ago.

Leave a comment:

• www.dropjhook.com
    replied
    I did buy a bottle of cover cent once & while applying it I found myself thinking what about the gun??? I still try a little cover cent but not from a bottle I roll around on the ground for a few seconds or find a smelly pine tree to roll around in also. I think deer most the time need to have two of there major sense's alerted before they make the 700 yrd dash, examples they need to smell & see you or hear & smell you, See you & hear you. Also some animals are so skitish they will run if the grass was blowing the wrong way, these type of deer are like a loaded spring waiting to be released. I found the best way to hunt is being at the right place at the right time, & the more time you spend outdoors the more of the chance you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• PAShooter
    replied
    I think that game associates scent with danger. Human scent usually will alarm game in almost all cases. Other scents sometimes makes the animal curious,however alert. The scent of gun oil would probably fall into the curious catagory. Unless the animal accociates gun oil=man=danger from previous experience, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides,how would you safely descent a gun?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget