Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given the available technology today, much emphasis is placed on scent control while hunting big game animals. However, as any s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Given the available technology today, much emphasis is placed on scent control while hunting big game animals. However, as any s

Given the available technology today, much emphasis is placed on scent control while hunting big game animals. However, as any serious hunter should, I like to keep my guns and rifles well cleaned and oiled at all times. Do the solvents and oils used for the upkeep of our favorite tools counteract all the other efforts made to control scent?

I'm sure it's possible for a game animal to spook from the nostalgic fragrance of Hoppe's #9, but IMHO caring for your rifle is more important. Besides, even with the best anti-scent technology, you're still more likely to get busted by your own human scent.

Comment

I pay more attention to staying downwind during the hunt than masking my scent. I pay more attention to getting the rifle to my shoulder and firing quickly than masking my scent. Frankly, I would just as soon miss the opportunity than become the anal, detail fixated, 'what else can I do hunter' that the salesman of this sport would have us become. I do enough of that kind of planning at work, this activity is reserved for fun and relaxation. There is no such thing as failure for me in the woods and prairie land, I find success in the smallest of things on my hunting excursions and enjoy the outings regardless of filling my tag.
      I would bet that DropJhook keeps it simple in the field and simply relies on his smarts.
      That being said I do own every tool known to mankind for luring and shooting the Great Canada Goose.....they have been laughing at my brother and I every since we had to switch to steel shot. I have been rattling too many pellets off high flying geese for the past few years. Remington's new 1700 fps shotgun shells may change that situation. I will find out this Saturday. The shotgun and gear are at the door and the dogs know what is coming. I live for the weekends during the Fall season.

Comment

The goal of scent free hunting is impossible to achieve unless you hunt from a bubble, and even then, the bubble may smell bad to a deer. I tried to be scent free one season, but realized that the harder I tried, the more sources of scent there were to deal with. Heck, you can't even eat beans for supper. I think Kody has it right about the salesmen and that it's just another marketing gimmick. On the other hand, I do still wash myself and my clothing in unscented soap and try to keep my scent down, but I'm not obsessive about it. I mainly watch the wind. There are a lot of variables and a lot of luck involved in deer hunting, so I just do the best I can and enjoy the whole experience.

Comment

Kody, let us know how the new ammo works out for you with the geese. Good hunting.

Comment

I think that game associates scent with danger. Human scent usually will alarm game in almost all cases. Other scents sometimes makes the animal curious,however alert. The scent of gun oil would probably fall into the curious catagory. Unless the animal accociates gun oil=man=danger from previous experience, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides,how would you safely descent a gun?

Comment

I did buy a bottle of cover cent once & while applying it I found myself thinking what about the gun??? I still try a little cover cent but not from a bottle I roll around on the ground for a few seconds or find a smelly pine tree to roll around in also. I think deer most the time need to have two of there major sense's alerted before they make the 700 yrd dash, examples they need to smell & see you or hear & smell you, See you & hear you. Also some animals are so skitish they will run if the grass was blowing the wrong way, these type of deer are like a loaded spring waiting to be released. I found the best way to hunt is being at the right place at the right time, & the more time you spend outdoors the more of the chance you have to be in the right place at the right time.

Comment

After cleaning my guns I run a patch of lard down the barrel, followed by a dry patchs to remove any excess. I've lubed my muzzleloaders with nothing but lard from the box as suggested by an old timer. He said lard was all folks had back in the day and that the heat from shooting will burn the lard into the barrel making it non stick much like a cast iron skillet. My barrels are as slick as they were a decade and a half ago.

Comment

DJH, I think I could learn some real field craft from you... we need to arrange a "student exchange program."
                  As part of this proposal, I would get to hunt Montana with you and learn field craft. In your part of the exchange program you could come to my next post, shoot machine guns and learn how to blow up/destroy anything in your path. Sound good?

Comment

i try to keep excess gun oils and solvents to a minumum ,i wipe the metal with rubbing alchohol to diminish the smell /i'll clean my weapons if they get wet or fouled during season.i agree you can only do so much for scent control but at least we can remove from us as much as common sense dictates.forget the wind? not hardly. forget scent control? do what you can.

Comment

The Captain, Sounds like fun, hey I never told you I had a son named hunter also (Great name). Back to blow stuff up, who would pass on that better yet if you can find a place in the military for a guy who loves stalking things & wouldn't mind if a fire fight ended in a upclose knife throwing contest, What am I saying I'm not good with taking orders, I guess you probly wouldn't need any more rebels then there already is in that part of the world. So just make sure to make it home safe captain & we can go from there :-)

Comment

Who on this forum would ever have guessed that Dropjhook is not one for taking orders???

Comment

Pineywoods, Remington's hypersonic steel load is great stuff. I am going to write my comments in the message section under ammunition.
                          Kody

Comment

DJH, I agree that Hunter is a good name... kinda partial of it myself. As for being no good at taking orders, I understand. It's not always easy... that's all I'll say on that.
                            As far as scent control, I have never had many issues with that. Typically, when you storm through the brush with the subtlety of a Sherman tank, fall into every hole in the woods and generally look like a cartoon caked in mud, covering scent is not your biggest problem.

Comment

The Captain, your last post gave me good laugh, I'm sure you feel like a cartoon sometimes in your own mind. I just wonder what the people who have the business end of your weapons pointing towards them imagine you as? Look at the crazy guy falling all over place, he's covered in mud what a savage wait a minute he has a gun, OMG he's coming this way RUN! RUN!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X