Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 57 yrs. old, very healthy, but had neck surgery on 4 vertabrae (plates and pins). I started hunting again two yrs. ago, afte

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 57 yrs. old, very healthy, but had neck surgery on 4 vertabrae (plates and pins). I started hunting again two yrs. ago, afte

I'm 57 yrs. old, very healthy, but had neck surgery on 4 vertabrae (plates and pins). I started hunting again two yrs. ago, after approx. 25 yrs. away from it, and plan to continue for many years. I've decided that a .270 would be my best bet for an all around gun, to take me through the future and cover many types of game. My one concern is that I've fallen in love with the taste of S. Texas Nilgai and I'm not sure if the .270 is enough gun. This past year I used my son's 300 Win. Mag on my Nilgai, which did a great job, but I know that I won't be able to shoot that caliber very often. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've heard that the new XP3 bullets would work well, but I still have lingering doubts. Any thoughts on other ammo? Thank you

I'm a big fan of the XP3 bullet. It is among a select group of ultra-versatile projectiles capable of a wide variety of tasks. A Nilgai is a tough animal, however, and I think you're right to be concerned about your bullet selection. With that as a good caveat, I think the 150-gr. XP3 in .270 would do a smashing job on those large critters.

The real question is are you going to share some of that amazing venison?

Comment

A 270 is a great all around rifle for modest shots out to about 300 yards, after that it starts losing it's ass but any decent hunter should never have to shoot farther than that, I have owned a 300 win mag and know exactly why it is not the best choice I have also owned several other big game calibers and have never been as happy as with my ruger .270.
      I don't know much about the new types of ammo however though I trust very much in wichesters regular old fart superX, I have also had good luck with hornady in the same ruger .270

Comment

Have you thought about trying an autoloader, it should help with the recoil, and maybe you could go up to the 30-06.

Comment

Hmm yes, I see.

With approximately 35000 of them I can see where this would be attractive.

At 300-700lbs I can definitely see where a .300win mag would be a darn near ideal choice.

Stepping down from that for a minute, let's think about what might be okay in 7mm. I believe the .280Rem is an improvement from the .270 win, and if you can handle the .270 you can handle the .280, or you could bump up a bit more and go to the .280AI, with the loads on the .280Rem or .280AI, you could push 7mm Mag performance, without so much of the recoil.

A good semi-auto would help reduce the felt recoil.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget