Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good handgun for wild boar.

What is a good handgun for wild boar.

41, 44, 454, 460 500. I would go with the 454 myself but to each thier own.

Comment

Kind of depends on the range that your plan on shooting from. If it is long range, it will be different than short. I am a big fan of large bore handguns, so I like all of X2DKkiller's suggestion. I am very fond of either the .44 Magnum or the .45, but I don't think that I could fault any of the others mentioned. They are all good. But with the exception of the .460 they are not all that long range. For shots less than 100 yards everything he listed should be good. The .45 ACP should be for shots less than 100 yards, probably under 50 yds.
      Good hunting and good luck.

Comment

The above choices are good. If, you go with the .454 Casull you can shoot .45 Colt in a .454 Casull revolver. That way getting to know your gun, practice or informal plinking can be fun and cheaper than running full powerhouse .454 Casull loads through your handgun. Of course still practice with the .454 Casull loads to hone your shooting skills.

Comment

Johnnie, the best price for 45Colt I have found in Id are HSM at $24 a box, the other popular cowboy loads are as high as $40. Which is why I load mine with 250gr Noslers. Good luck this season are bow season starts next month.

Comment

X2DKkiller, Some ammo prices are okay while others are ridiculous in price. I handload too, and couldn't imagine buying factory ammo.

Comment

Johnnie, if you buy the .460 S&W Magnum, you can shoot .45 Colt, and the .454, along with the .460. The .460 has more range than any of them but I imagine that there is a bit more recoil.
              The .460 is the gun that I lust after most right now. I just don't have that much money...

Comment

Bo look into the Magnum Reaserch BFR in 460 they should retail about $800, thats the one I am thinking about getting in 454.

Comment

X2DKkiller, thanks, but I have to confess that I am a dyed in the wool Smith & Wesson fan. I love the looks of their gun. I handled one in a gun store, I love the feel it has, the balance was perfect for me. When I can, that is what I will get.

Comment

Bo a friend of mine has the Smith and he has been trying to talk me into getting one it is just out of my price range besides if I droped $1200 on a pistol my wife would kill me.

Comment

Same here, X2DKkiller. I keep hoping that my situation will change and I will have a lot more discretionary cash that would allow me to get the guns that I want. You know the drill.

Comment

If you are going to be hunting around dogs, go with either a 41mag, 44mag or 45LC. The 454, 460, 500 are a little hard on the ears plus it is little easier to find ammo for these when out in the boonies. I tend to use a revolver more, they seem to hold up to the dust and grit a little better than the big bore pistols and are very accurate. All my hunting buddys and I either use a ruger or S&W, go with 6"+ barrel if you are going to outfit with a scope for longer shots.

Comment

Hey Bo, The .460 S&W Magnum sounds like a good caliber. I would love to own a revolver that shoots .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and the .460 S&W Magnum.... 3 for the price of one. Maybe you, me, and X2DKkiller can get a group discount if we buy our revolvers together....LOL. Need to save up more lunch money first.
                          I shot a Freedoms Arm revolver in .454 Casull once and that is a really nice revolver. My wife would love me that much more for buying one, they only cost $1,970.00 for a field grade and $2,320.00 for a premier grade.... okay - now back to reality.
                          I agree with you cali hog hunter, the 454, 460, 500 are a little hard on the ears.

Comment

I lovehog hunting with pistols more than riflesalthough each hastheir place. i usea 500 Smith Performance center most of the time. The ammo is not cheap but i have found some great rounds for under $40 a box that exceed 3000 lbs of muzzle energy. I am thankful for the muzzlebreak every time the hammer drops! A lot of the time im stalking so i tend to be a bit overpowered but i know how mean wounded hogs can get! I would love the S&W .44mag hunter, Do you guys think it has all i need with decent placement to do a one shot drop on the bigger hogs?

Comment

The 44 is a hell of a gun I just like the 454 because of the greater energy. The reason I am going with the BFR is because it does not have a break I wont own a gun with a break on it damn things are to loud.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget