Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In South Dakota if you hit a game animal with your vehicle you can get a tag to take it home with you, but, I believe they need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In South Dakota if you hit a game animal with your vehicle you can get a tag to take it home with you, but, I believe they need

In South Dakota if you hit a game animal with your vehicle you can get a tag to take it home with you, but, I believe they need to just allow people to take the animal without going through the process of obtaining that tag. Whats it like in your state?

Most places that I am aware of require the animal to be tagged because if they didn't there would be many unscrupulous people roaming the highways and byways, trying to make sure that more animals become "ROAD KILL" It begins to look suspicious if this was your 47th deer that you found since the first of the month and it's only the 10th. Most places that I am aware of will take any trophy rack on a road kill. Ensures that people are not trophy hunting with their cars or trucks.
    This measure does cut down on the frequency of poaching.

Comment

BO is right, who knows? All that meat in the freezer or those antlers on the wall said to be road kill might not be! Cuts both ways!!

Comment

BO is right, who knows? All that meat in the freezer or those antlers on the wall said to be road kill might not be! Cuts both ways!!

Comment

New York State - tag required to claim a deer hit by a vehicle. You can claim a deer as your own if the deer isn't claimed by the vehicle in question of hitting the deer, you still need it tagged by law enforcement; I claimed three deer that way. The tag proves you got the deer legally, so it is important that the tag is given.
          Bo makes a good point on if the tag wasn't given.
          In my area of Central New York State the tags are no longer given out due to we are in a CWD containment area.
          Some road kill deer are hit so hard by a vehicle the meat is worthless, so it isn't worth the trouble of getting a tag. Let the carcass get disposed of properly by the city, county or state.

Comment

One more thing about the tag. It's free, so why not get one! I don't know if it has changed in New York State in regard to the tag being free, because it has been a few years since I got a tag. I imagine the tags are still free.

Comment

The tags are free here too but sometimes it takes several hours before law enforcement can come tag it there needs to be better system put into play so you can get the game home in time before spoiling the meat. I think georiga just changed their laws so that you can claim animals hit by a vehicle without a tag. Bo- yes i understand why there is a tag in place the question had nothing to do with poaching just wondering what its like in the other states.

Comment

hmm.. once there was a well known poacher in the area he knew he was being watched so he stoped poaching. So one day on the highway coming he see's a monster buck on the road he has time to slow down like a typical human would but his poacher mind said take'm. He gets back heads to where his friends where at walks In Well Boy's got my first legal buck ever oh yeah hows that well I smashed into it with my bran new dodge durango & it's broke down now had to tow it so it must be a huge buck to smash your new ride into it. Well I thought so but when I got out & looked at it the thing seemed to of shrun alot!

Comment

"shrunk" sry

Comment

haha nice story djk

Comment

Comment

Well here in North Florida: we dont have deer tag's or check station's only on WMA land, and road kill is yours or the car,truck that hit the critter. the only road kill you can-not take are Bear,Fox,Panther. [and you can have loaded rifle in the cab]

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X