Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a 117 grain bullet from a 25-06 enough to kill a bull elk ethically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend shoots a 25-06 117 grain bullets and has never had any problems, she has killed 2 cows and 1 bull, none of them went more that 100 yards after the shot. Practice makes perfect!!!

Comment

I like shooting flat accurate rounds and hunt most Big game with a 270 win. The 25-06 would do the job if everything goes well. Accurate shot,profile target,bullet works properly. But the chances of any of those things not working 100% will increase with a smaller round. Also increasing chances of wounded game and a missed opportunity. Trust me I'm not one of those 300 magnum kind of guys but when I hear those guys talking about the elk or deer they took with the .22 I cringe.

Comment

I do agree with using a rifle with enough energy to penetrate thick hide animals, there is however many variables to take into count... Distance, windage, and bullet retention... That said, yes a 25-06 will and has killed many elk. I’ve taken 2 with a 300 win mag and 3 with my 25-06.
        Things you do have to remember, what range to you feel comfortable shooting, I’m talking out to 350-400 yards with a 25-06, if you’re thinking about hunting wide open areas and shots of further than 350 yards then forget the 25-06 as you’ll need more bullet weight and vilocity/energy to penetrate heavy hide animals, if you know the range you’re proficient at shooting heavy hide animals then stick to it,,, most people aren’t.
        I’ve heard others shoot at 6 point bulls with a 30-30 at 500+ yards just because the Bull was huge... that’s where it becomes more than ridiculous as a true hunter and not just a weekend warrior...
        I hope that clears it up for you, and it doesn’t hinder you from going and knowing your limits... have a safe hunt and good luck..

Comment

I’ve come to the conclusion that most answers to your question, from these hunters talking about quick kills, have never Archery hunted deer or elk. Only one time with my Bow have I dropped an elk in his tracks, and that was from a poorly placed shot on my part, high in the spine as I didn’t calculate his squatting enough as they tend to do... But with luck it severed his spinal cord... I’m sure your 25-06 has much more power than any Bow on the market today...Remember Placement is the key...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget