Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I HAVE THE CHANCE TO GO MOOSE HUNTING IN MAINE, FOR THE FIRST TIME. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST RIFLE AND CALIBER TO TAKE WITH ME. AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HAVE THE CHANCE TO GO MOOSE HUNTING IN MAINE, FOR THE FIRST TIME. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST RIFLE AND CALIBER TO TAKE WITH ME. AL

I HAVE THE CHANCE TO GO MOOSE HUNTING IN MAINE, FOR THE FIRST TIME. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST RIFLE AND CALIBER TO TAKE WITH ME. ALSO IS THE SHOT PLACEMENT THE SAME AS A WHITETAIL, OR IS IT DIFFERENT.WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMEND SO AS TO HAVE THE GREATEST SUCCESS.

Moose hunting is a great opportunity,especially in Maine! Most moose are shot with a 30-06 or bigger caliber rifle. The shot placement is is the same as a deer for the first shot, nothing beats a good heart lung shot, but this will not always put them right down like a whitetail so a follow-up shot should be planned. I advocate a follow-up shot to the hump to put the animal down on the spot. Careful consideration should be taken before taking any shot as to how you will retrieve the moose once it is down(they are veeery biggg and you are in for a lot of work once you pull the trigger). If you are a novice moose hunter, and you sound like you are, I would hire a guide to have the most success. A registered Maine guide not only knows where to find moose but will be invaluable to you in handling your moose once you shoot it. My only question to you is--How do you know you will have a moose permit as they are allotted by a random lottery held in May of each year? I've been trying since 1989 and haven't been drawn yet.

Comment

I'm with big norm(NORM !)
      I'd start with the 06' and go UP from there.

Comment

BIG NORM, THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION, THE OUTFITTER HAS THE PERMIT, AND I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET WITH HIM THROUGH FRIENDS IN MAINE, I AM 50 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SO MANY YEARS FOR THIS CHANCE, MOOSE HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY DREAM.

Comment

this year i was drawn for my first ever moose hunt. complete success. all the vitals are the same as a whitey just in bigger proportions as they are a biigger animal. i used my 30-06 with 150 grain bullets. one shot and the moose tipped over without taking a step. i think shot placement is just more important than anything.

Comment

I am on the shady side of 50. A few years ago I decided to make the up-switch to a .300 win-mag. Before firing a box of shells I was back to my ol'faithful, 1903A Springfield .30-06, sporterized. If I want to get pounded while having fun I'll find a mean woman. The .300 was above my comfort zone even if it does pack a wallup. Be prepared for "big". I am 6' 3" and in a photo of me dressing my 'small' bull I was practically standing inside the body cavity. Absolutely delicious! Good luck!

Comment

I live in NorthWestern Ontario and moose hunt every year. In our party I use a Savage model 99 .308 with 168gr Winchesters, others in the party use .300 win mag, 30-06, 30/30, they all work. Vitals are the same only larger, giving you a bit more forgiveness in shot placement. I have taken Calfs, Cows and Bulls with my .308 and have never had a problem, although my longest was probably 200 yards. I have never had to track one, they don't tend to run like Whitetails after the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by big norm View Post
                Moose hunting is a great opportunity,especially in Maine! Most moose are shot with a 30-06 or bigger caliber rifle. The shot placement is is the same as a deer for the first shot, nothing beats a good heart lung shot, but this will not always put them right down like a whitetail so a follow-up shot should be planned. I advocate a follow-up shot to the hump to put the animal down on the spot. Careful consideration should be taken before taking any shot as to how you will retrieve the moose once it is down(they are veeery biggg and you are in for a lot of work once you pull the trigger). If you are a novice moose hunter, and you sound like you are, I would hire a guide to have the most success. A registered Maine guide not only knows where to find moose but will be invaluable to you in handling your moose once you shoot it. My only question to you is--How do you know you will have a moose permit as they are allotted by a random lottery held in May of each year? I've been trying since 1989 and haven't been drawn yet.
                Great information! I'd like to hunt in Maine as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Big O View Post
                  I'm with big norm(NORM !)
                  I'd start with the 06' and go UP from there.
                  It's hard to beat the .30-06 with 180 grain loads

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                    BIG NORM, THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION, THE OUTFITTER HAS THE PERMIT, AND I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET WITH HIM THROUGH FRIENDS IN MAINE, I AM 50 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SO MANY YEARS FOR THIS CHANCE, MOOSE HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY DREAM.
                    50? I thought you were older, like in the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor Pommier View Post
                      this year i was drawn for my first ever moose hunt. complete success. all the vitals are the same as a whitey just in bigger proportions as they are a biigger animal. i used my 30-06 with 150 grain bullets. one shot and the moose tipped over without taking a step. i think shot placement is just more important than anything.
                      Interesting. I would have thought the 180 grain would be preferred. Well, that shows what I know on the subject!

Comment

Originally posted by NortheastOutdoorAdventures View Post
                        I am on the shady side of 50. A few years ago I decided to make the up-switch to a .300 win-mag. Before firing a box of shells I was back to my ol'faithful, 1903A Springfield .30-06, sporterized. If I want to get pounded while having fun I'll find a mean woman. The .300 was above my comfort zone even if it does pack a wallup. Be prepared for "big". I am 6' 3" and in a photo of me dressing my 'small' bull I was practically standing inside the body cavity. Absolutely delicious! Good luck!
                        Great advice - I'll also pass on the .300 Win Mag

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                          I live in NorthWestern Ontario and moose hunt every year. In our party I use a Savage model 99 .308 with 168gr Winchesters, others in the party use .300 win mag, 30-06, 30/30, they all work. Vitals are the same only larger, giving you a bit more forgiveness in shot placement. I have taken Calfs, Cows and Bulls with my .308 and have never had a problem, although my longest was probably 200 yards. I have never had to track one, they don't tend to run like Whitetails after the shot.
                          It's interesting that all the cartridges mentioned use .308 caliber bullets

Comment

Treestand, what was the result of your hunt? What rifle did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              Treestand, what was the result of your hunt? What rifle did you use?
                              Just a couple of links to similar discussions on F&S

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X