Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the next three months, I am going to be purchasing two rifles. I have my choices narrowed down to a couple of calibers and w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PittsburghDeerHunter26
    replied
    I agree with tmackfrost. 30 Calibers are awesome guns and can take everything that you are asking about! .308 is a great caliber too. I swear by the 30-30 but effective range is pretty much 150-200 yards. Have you considered a 7mm? But to answer you're 2nd question I can't speak for the .338.

Leave a comment:

• Millcrickman
    replied
    look up a 35 whelen its a 358 cal that has identical ballistics as the 338 win mag but not the recoil many use it on deer. ive shot elk, moose and deer with it. up 400 yards.
    $25 bucks a box for standard 200 grain
    30-06 has many problems, with the 30 cal and its velocity it goes through many animals not expending all of its energy. my 35 stops within 28 inches at 100 yards and 17in at 400. fully expanded at both ranges

Leave a comment:

• tmackfrost
    replied
    Save yourself some money. Instead of buying 2 guns, just buy one that can do it all. A .30/.06 is a great all around caliber. Plus finding ammo for it is never a problem and its cheap since its such a popular round.

Leave a comment:

• OldRedCJ7
    replied
    Thanks for the input guys. Now, what about the .338 Remington Ultra Mag and the .338-378 Weatheryby? Like I mentioned in my original post, I'm looking for both a small caliber AND larger caliber gun. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• jcarlin
    replied
    I had one experience with a borrowed .243 and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I had both the distance and angles on the animal in which I managed to see both the entry and exit locations which I was satisfied with, but the results I was not. I know everyone's had their experiences and you can't always blame the gun. I've met a lot of people who swear by the caliber for deer, but I've also met a lot who've sworn never again. I haven't ran into the latter opinion regarding .270 or bigger.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    Deer, antelope and some varmint shooting-- if you are considering a .243 or a 25-06, the 25-06 is a clear winner. The .243 is a great little round but it gives us plenty of effective range on the 25-06. There are terrific range of bullets available for the 25 cal and I believe you have another 100 yards of effective range over the .24 cal. The 25 is a great round if you handload and the many new factory rounds have further enhanced 25-06's reputation. The 25-06 is generally one that fires different weights of bullets including the light weight varmint bullets with consistent accuracy. That is not the case with many of the calibers available. If you are considering going for bigger game and putting aside the .338 in favour of a 25-06 it is not the right gun and you need to step up as Bo suggested. Your comments suggest you are looking to fill the medium to small game. If that is the case then 25-06! I like the fact that it has good hitting power but is still light enough in the recoil department that I can see the effects of my shot- meaning I stay on target, ready for a follow up if required.

Leave a comment:

• OldRedCJ7
    replied
    Right, I had planned to use them on deer and antelope and perhaps do some varmit shooting with them as well.

Leave a comment:

• Bo
    replied
    I prefer a .270 for deer sized animals. It is flat shooting and in a pinch can be used for elk, the two smaller ones you mentioned should not be used for elk.

Leave a comment:

• In the next three months, I am going to be purchasing two rifles. I have my choices narrowed down to a couple of calibers and w

In the next three months, I am going to be purchasing two rifles. I have my choices narrowed down to a couple of calibers and would love some feedback. For a larger game gun, either a .338 Remington Ultra Mag or a .338-378 Weatherby. And for deer-sized game, either a .243 or a .25-06. What are some pros and cons of these choices?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
    by fitch270
    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
    Yesterday, 08:27 PM
  • Unusual Sound
    by jhjimbo
    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
    Yesterday, 02:17 PM
  • bedding on new rifle
    by Amflyer
    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
    Yesterday, 12:22 AM
  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
    by fitch270
    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
    09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X