Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 weeks ago my father and I had purchased a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam 20 gauge. We also purchased a rifled barrel/scope combo to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 weeks ago my father and I had purchased a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam 20 gauge. We also purchased a rifled barrel/scope combo to

7 weeks ago my father and I had purchased a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam 20 gauge. We also purchased a rifled barrel/scope combo to shoot sabot slugs for deer hunting. When we went out to sight in the scope, that came with the barrel, the scope was not acurate. We would hit paper, and then the very next shot would not even be close. My father brought along his 30-06 rifle to see if his scope was still acurate, and shot a 2 inch group in 3 shots, so it wasn't his unsteady hand. So is 100 yards to far for a 20 gauge, sabot slug to be acurate, and if it is how mny yards should we sight it in at?? Please reply because at $2.06 a shot we can not fool around. Thank you.

I would start out by looking down the barrel when it is not mounted but sitting on sandbags and is stationary. Then check if the scope sees the same thing you see when you look through the barrel. Adjust the scope until it looks close to the same.Then mount the barrel on the gun and start with your first shot at no more than 25 yds. Once you get your vertical axis set up, you can start stretching your range. I have a Mossberg 500, 20 gauge that I have a rifled barrel for. It is reasonably accurate at 100 yards. I had to spend a bunch of money on ammo to get it sighted in, but once I got it it was sweet.

Comment

Make sure all the screws on the scope mount and rings are tight. If not, youll never get a good grouping. I know many people who have gone to the range to sight in their guns and have gotten so frustrated because they couldnt hold a group. Once they find out that a couple screws were loose and tightend them, everything worked well.

Comment

it would never hurt to try a diffrent brand of ammo your gun just might be finicky

Comment

A good friend of mine with a great shot had a similiar issue, 20 gauge scope shooting all over the place(rifled barrel). It ended up being that the rifling could not handle faster slugs. He ended up using winchester 20gauge bpi's or bpr's not sure. he slowed down the speed of the sabot ie fps and it now shoots 2inch groups at 60 yrds

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X