Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these is the best shotgun for both deer and turkey? Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pbshooter1217
    replied
    Can't go wrong with the Remington 870 Express Combo.

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghDeerHunter26
    replied
    I do not own one but have spent numerous days shooting clays with the Mossberg 500. The Mossberg 500 handles great and know a few hunters that swear by it for deer and turkey. As the above posts, It's not just the gun but how the gun goes with the shooter. I also may be biased towards the 500 because it's the first gun I ever fired. Oh, the sentimental value of shotguns!

Leave a comment:

• kanawhale
    replied
    I have used a mossberg 500 since 1980 and it has never failed me. The Rem. 870 is also a good gun. Go with the one that feels best to you.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    The Remington 870 hits my shoulder and the sights are in line. I shot my first duck with my mother's 870 forty eight years ago....wait a minute, it can't possibly be that long ago. I remember the duck landing at my feet and smelling the spend shotgun shell as if it was yesterday. The point here is that for many of us our recommendations for certain firearms are based on sentimental reasons. Yes, the 870 pump set the standard by which the modern pump action shotgun is judged but that does not mean the Mossberg does not rival the old standard. Perhaps it has features that you would appreciate more. Put both guns to your shoulder quickly and see which one fits .if the sights line up without requiring much alignment of your cheek to the stock that is your new shotgun. Good hunting!

Leave a comment:

• mattginter
    replied
    the rem 870 is my preperded choice but ive heard people say the 500 is good too

Leave a comment:

• mattginter
    replied
    the rem 870 is my preperded choice but ive heard people say the 500 is good too

Leave a comment:

• groundpounder
    replied
    i have a rem marine mag with a rem heavy deer barrel a nikon slug gun scope i shoot rem accutip 3 inch sabots i have shot fifty yard groups allot of the slug through the same hole it will shoot one inch groups @ one hundred yards ammo not cheap but you dont want to miss a deer because you used cheap ammo rem video is no joke i have targets to prove it hunt on the ground dont be a monkey boy no four wheels to drag your deer out no deer drives

Leave a comment:

• 86Ram
    replied
    I'll explain myself a little more: The feature on the mossberg appealed to me. I also liked the feel of the gun.
    Once again as I stated Both are good guns as well as a winchester and both guns are quality guns.

I do buy my guns by looking at the charactoristics of the gun. I look at features that make the gun user freindly with or without gloves etc.
    Let me guess some of you have never compared guns before to see which one had charactoristics you liked.
    never looked down the barrel to see if the sights were bent or barrel was?
    never considered weight while in the field?
    Never check to see if the stock was warped or cracked or the finish was flawed?

New guns have flaws. I picked up a stainless 22 henry brand new and the barrel was rusting.

Leave a comment:

• hunter4ever
    replied
    i have used both guns and now i'm using the 870 all the time i have never had it jam like the mossberg did and the 870 shoots better patterns with just a full choke. but use whichever fits you better.

Leave a comment:

• rrmont
    replied
    I'm going to have to go with Bo on this one. Both are very good choices it's just a matter of with one you like the best.

Leave a comment:

• Bo
    replied
    Whichever one fits you best. It is so much a personal preference thing here. Both are good guns, I take that back, they are great guns. I am a Mossberg fan, but I know several shooters who think as much of their Remington as I do my Mossberg. Which ever one you can shoot the best is the best gun for you.

Leave a comment:

• 86Ram
    replied
    I prefer the 12 Ga Mossberg 500. Mine has been reliable and with either the slug barrel or field barrel very accurate. I like the weight and balnce of the 500 and lower recoil than the 870. I also like the double beaded front sights of the 500s field barrel and the pattern of accu II chokes.Mossbergs hold 6 (2-1/2") rounds. Last Remington or Winchester pump I picked up only held 5. I like the top mounted safety on the mossberg as well

Any gun you buy should fit you. Pick up the gun(s) shoulder it. look down the barrel, compare the weight, look at the otions. Mossbergs hold 6 (2-1/2") rounds. Both are quality firearms and both have + and - features depending on who you talk to.

Leave a comment:

• pjsabella
    replied
    the 870...i've used this on both animals and it has never let me down

Leave a comment:

• seadog
    replied
    I've got an older 870 slug gun & a fairly new 870 turkey gun. The older one's never given me any problems. The newer one feels & shoots great but only time will tell if it's made as well as the old ones were. I guess I'm a little biased in favor of the Remington, so it gets my vote.

Leave a comment:

• WVOtter
    replied
    Consider the Mossberg 535. As I mentioned before, I'm a fan of the Mossberg 535 because it's chambered for the 3.5" mag (like the 835), but has the much lighter weight of the 500 (which can't handle those rounds). So you never have to be worried about being limited by that and can walk with it all day. Before I got my Mossberg, however, I had luck with my dad's 870 smoothbore and didn't have any complaints I suppose, although it was older and I don't know how they're made/changed now.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget