Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dewman
    replied
    Saw a LOT of ammo this week in all the shops/stores that sell it. Big green everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    In today’s travels we stopped in a different Walmart than we usually do. Picking up a few things for the Kid’s dorm room. I checked the sporting goods counter and they had a 4-pack of Federal PowerSteel for $67. Works out to about $6 a box less than the ones I picked up at F&S last week.

Boxes are the same but the loads are a bit different. The first ones are 1 1/8 oz of BB’s at 1550fps, these today are 1 1/4 oz at 1450fps. I know velocity is steel shots friend but can’t imagine there being much effective difference.

Tomorrow is orientation day, we’ll be passing by a Sportsman’s Warehouse along the way and I’m planning on making a stop on the way home. Probably going to be a regular occurrence when we go for visits. 😎
    Last edited by fitch270; 07-27-2022, 08:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Sorry FB. Not bragging, but I have 500 new and primed 16 gauge hulls and 750 wads. I got mine from a place called BPI I believe. Out of 12 and 20, but they had the 16.
    Even if I had the hulls and wads amflyer, what would I do with them?
    Make soup? LOL!
    I do need to locate a 16 gauge loader.
    I have a "way" to make shot (#8's). It's just hot and dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

LMBO!!!!

I have two MEC 600 Jr loaders! Twelve and a 20 gauge.
    Guess what?
    I only shoot 16 gauge! 😖

Powder and primers aren't that easy to come by? Try locating 16 gauge hulls and wads! LOL!
    Sorry FB. Not bragging, but I have 500 new and primed 16 gauge hulls and 750 wads. I got mine from a place called BPI I believe. Out of 12 and 20, but they had the 16.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Dewman; The Walmart where I’ve been getting .22 ammo hasn’t had much in the way of shotshells or centerfire ammo. Prices seem to be inline with what ‘flyer posted for what they do have.

‘flyer, hoping your son is shooting well.

Didn’t mention as not to get political, but after the SC ruling in the NYSRPA case our replacement Governor called a special session to pass 10 new gun laws. Seems they saw it coming. Included is another attempt at background checks for ammo purchases like they passed under the Safe Act. That was a colossal failure but apparently they aren’t giving up on the idea. Law is supposed to go in effect starting in September so I’m thinking there’s a possibility we’ll have a run on ammo over the coming weeks.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    We have a pretty active clay sports scene here, so target loads are scarce. Winchester WST loads are around $10/25 rnds, AA around 13 bucks.

I've been reloading shells as fast as I can to get on top of next season and keep us practicing over the summer. But shooting once a week, we get through quite a few boxes.

Components are very expensive, and I really don't save any money, it's just knowing that we have ammo.

Target powders are tough, primers are the same. I bought 5K Cheddite primers, but our Brownings have issues with pierced primers. Eventually erodes the firing pin face, but spares the breach face so far. So i bought 4 pins. Shot is the most expensive part, at 65 bucks per bag!

Gone through 2000 primers so far, and around 4 lbs of powder, roughly, since the summer started. I have about 2 1/2 flats stored, and shot the rest.

MEC jr 600 model. I use old AA, new AA-HS, and the cheap WST hulls. The expensive Rem HCP hull load just like the old AA hulls, and are prob the best. They all load with the same recipe except the new AA-HS hulls, which have less capacity and are a gen pain. But I have a method.

There you go. Everything you didn't ask for and didn't want to know about out shotgunning life!
    LMBO!!!!

I have two MEC 600 Jr loaders! Twelve and a 20 gauge.
    Guess what?
    I only shoot 16 gauge! 😖

Powder and primers aren't that easy to come by? Try locating 16 gauge hulls and wads! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    We have a pretty active clay sports scene here, so target loads are scarce. Winchester WST loads are around $10/25 rnds, AA around 13 bucks.

I've been reloading shells as fast as I can to get on top of next season and keep us practicing over the summer. But shooting once a week, we get through quite a few boxes.

Components are very expensive, and I really don't save any money, it's just knowing that we have ammo.

Target powders are tough, primers are the same. I bought 5K Cheddite primers, but our Brownings have issues with pierced primers. Eventually erodes the firing pin face, but spares the breach face so far. So i bought 4 pins. Shot is the most expensive part, at 65 bucks per bag!

Gone through 2000 primers so far, and around 4 lbs of powder, roughly, since the summer started. I have about 2 1/2 flats stored, and shot the rest.

MEC jr 600 model. I use old AA, new AA-HS, and the cheap WST hulls. The expensive Rem HCP hull load just like the old AA hulls, and are prob the best. They all load with the same recipe except the new AA-HS hulls, which have less capacity and are a gen pain. But I have a method.

There you go. Everything you didn't ask for and didn't want to know about out shotgunning life!

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Cheap shotgun shells here are $6-$7. Good stuff (1-1/8 oz AA or Monarch, Fiocchi) will run $10 give or take. 1-1/4oz of #5's from the NEW Remington ammo maker go $18 at Walmart. The higher velocity Browning ammo pretty good too.
    Hoping your wife's surgery went well and recovery is quick & comfortable as well as successful. Stay safe

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    started a topic Shot Shells

Shot Shells

Had the day off to take my wife for eye surgery up in Albany this afternoon, we left early to hit up a couple stores first. Stopped into F&S just cause and ended up buying three boxes of waterfowl loads, 2 of 3” 12ga BB’s and 1-2.75” 12ga 2’s. Had a full box of 3” 2’s and about 1/3 box of 3” BB’s left over from last year that I’d picked up for the Kid after a buddy of his invited him out for early goose. Have no idea how things will play out this fall but he’ll be going to college in an area that should have waterfowl opportunities and his buddy said he’d like to come out that way some weekend. Figured I should get ahead of the curve just in case. I’ve made no secret I’m game to join them. Walked in the house with the three boxes,upon seeing them the Kid gets a big grin and says “What do I owe ‘ya?”. The little punk anyway.

I paid $23 per box for the cheap stuff, Federal and Kent. Black Cloud was almost $60/box and some others were over $40 to $50+. We have enough lead stuff to last years for hunting but could burn it up in a hurry shooting clays. Things being what they’ve been lately I’ve been trying to buy some type of ammo every time I have the opportunity if it’s reasonably priced. Reasonably being subjective. Lead options seemed to start at $12/box for what I’m guessing are promo loads. I’d never heard of the brand before and don’t remember what they were. Wasn’t much choice either, definitely more nontoxic to choose from. Upland non toxic ran about $35/box.

Based on what I saw today I’m glad I’ve managed to squirrel away a little bit of everything we use. I’m not liking what it will cost to replace most of it if I can find it but it is was it is.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ‘Twas the night before ….
    by fitch270
    the bow opener, and it’s chilli cook off night at church.

What could possibly go wrong?!?

😳🤢🙄

Today, 06:22 PM
  • Deciding on Spot for First Day
    by wesman24
    Hello Everyone,

I currently have a spot set up on public land that is new to me this year. I did quite a bit of scouting in the area and...
    Yesterday, 02:15 PM
  • What now?
    by FirstBubba
    PM'ing on another blog site with a gent.
    I had lamented the fact that I have 20 gauge and 12 gauge MEC 600Jr loaders, but only shoot 16 gauge....
    09-28-2022, 05:50 PM
  • Counting down
    by fitch270
    We’ve had an early bear weekend already and squirrel season opened September 1’st but this Saturday morning is a big deal, most small game seasons...
    09-28-2022, 04:33 PM
  • POS shotgun breaks a kids heart.
    by dewman
    In short brother and I dove hunting 1/4 mile from a slough some folks are Teal hunting. Around 8:00 their shooting stops and they are coming down the...
    09-25-2022, 08:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X