How much LESS recoil does a 20-gauge have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much LESS recoil does a 20-gauge have

Compared with a 12-gauge shotgun, how much LESS recoil does a 20-gauge have?
    Last edited by justiniwhicker; 02-12-2022, 12:21 AM.

In a word - none. Recoil is a direct result of the physics formula, " for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction ". This will NEVER change, so. We can mitigate recoil in 3 ways....
    1. Shoot a lighter charge. Less action force=less reaction force.
    2. Shoot a heavier gun
    3. Shoot a different type of gun, for instance, a gas semi auto instead of a single shot.
    I will include this chart as a reference of popular target loads. Notice however that the payload changes thus changing recoil. IMG_2717.jpg

Comment

I'm not about to challenge Dewman on his facts. I do know however shooting a 20 gauge is a lot more tolerable after a day shooting skeet or dove with a twenty is easier on me than the 12. A 20gauge is generally a lighter gun to pack if your on a hunt that requires a lot of Walking.

Comment

Neither will I challenge dewman's information. They all make sense.
        Field loads. Lighter shot/powder charges. Heavier gun. Semi autos instead of pumps/single shots.

A note on auto loaders:
        The auto loaders that use adjustable friction rings to compensate for various (heavy-medium-field) loads can be problematic.
        Those rings rely on being able to grip the magazine tube to control recoil. When oiling the magazine tube, wipe off ALL excess lubricant!
        Lube a magazine tube so that the rings can't grip and the shotgun will kick like a mule.
        Ask me! LOL!

Comment

Phil Bourjaily just posted this on F&S website. I think gun and shell advancements have really blurred the performance separation in recent years between the gauges but in the end I always defer to the experts--- IMG_2725.jpg -

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Phil Bourjaily just posted this on F&S website. I think gun and shell advancements have really blurred the performance separation in recent years between the gauges but in the end I always defer to the experts--- IMG_2725.jpg -
            I don't find Bourjaily that informative. He can be pretty easily swayed.

Comment

Okay, I have it straight from a highly dependable, scientific source that an O/U 20 gauge firing 7/8 ounce loads at 1200 fps kicks less than a gas-operated 12 shooting 1 oz loads at 1180 fps.

That would be my 11 year old, at the trap range. Case closed, next question.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget