Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I dunno WAM. If I used bigger shot and heavier loads, I might be even more successful. Who knows?
    If I attributed my success to anything, it would be the turkey population where I was hunting. There were lots of birds. Getting one close enough to shoot wasn't THAT difficult.
    It darn sure wasn't my magical, Pied Piper calling abilities! LOL! 100E0899.jpg In a preseason scouting/photograph session, I caught these six toms in a sparring match.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Pretty simple, WAM.

"pattern density" and "penetration"

I guess so. Can’t dispute your success!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    [QUOTE=dewman;n69030]

Pretty simple, WAM.

Pattern, maybe. Up close it's not an issue. Penetration no. Bigger shot hit harder, penetrate deeper.You can't buck physics. IMG_2718.jpg

I don't know what to tell you dewman.

Best I can tell you is folks talking about knock down power.
    Which has more "knock down"?
    A .375 H&H or a .375 Ruger?
    A .458 Win Mag or a .458 Lott?
    It's numbers on paper and the game doesn't know... ...or care.
    Aeronautics say a bumblebee bee can't fly.
    Guess what?

I know folks think you can't kill turkeys with #8's and I know what my experiences have been.
    The biggest shot I've ever used to kill a turkey was #7.5....and that was one bird. EVERY turkey I've taken with a shotgun was with #8 lead shot.

I've even x-rayed the head and neck of turkeys I've taken with #8 shot.
    https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/1...key-headnecks/
    ...and I've even recovered #4's and #5's from the backs of turkeys legs.

The target area on a turkey is NOT that tough and shot doesn't have to penetrate THAT deep!
    A turkeys skeletal structure isn't steel, concrete or even heavy bone, it's bird bone.

Number 8 shot will hit a turkey hard enough to break the spine and penetrate the skull and penetrate deep enough to do that. You only need one pellet, regardless of size, to disrupt the CNS to anchor a turkey.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    [QUOTE=FirstBubba;n69029]

Pretty simple, WAM.

Pattern, maybe. Up close it's not an issue. Penetration no. Bigger shot hit harder, penetrate deeper.You can't buck physics. IMG_2718.jpg

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

Why tiny 8 and 9 shot?
    Pretty simple, WAM.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied

I picked up the .410 because of my shoulder. Federal makes, or did make, a 3" tungsten (#9's) turkey load.
    I bought two 5 packs for $60! Six bucks a round! 🤯
    Just out of sheer desperation, I shot 2 just to see how they'd pattern.
    I think the little gun would do just fine with some good quality 3", lead 9's, but finding 3" .410 ammo is harder than locating 16 gauge ammo!
    Why tiny 8 and 9 shot?

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

My neighbor lady killed the biggest Merriam’s tom that I’ve seen with a .410 this season while grouse hunting (we have a fall season). I usually shoot at grouse with a 20 ga.
    I picked up the .410 because of my shoulder. Federal makes, or did make, a 3" tungsten (#9's) turkey load.
    I bought two 5 packs for $60! Six bucks a round! 🤯
    Just out of sheer desperation, I shot 2 just to see how they'd pattern.
    I think the little gun would do just fine with some good quality 3", lead 9's, but finding 3" .410 ammo is harder than locating 16 gauge ammo!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

I shoot #5 lead Remington turkey loads. No state requirement to use non-toxic. If there were, I’m sure a load of #3 steel would take out Tom.
    That "otter" do it! 😉

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    For turkeys, I use a good quality high velocity, lead #8's. I've got a butt load of Rem 16 gauge, high brass, #7.5's a guy gave me years ago. Worked great on turkey.
    The only 3" shotgun ammo I shoot is in my .410.
    My neighbor lady killed the biggest Merriam’s tom that I’ve seen with a .410 this season while grouse hunting (we have a fall season). I usually shoot at grouse with a 20 ga.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied

What is your choice for turkeys, lead or non toxic?
    Is your choice personal or state law?
    I shoot #5 lead Remington turkey loads. No state requirement to use non-toxic. If there were, I’m sure a load of #3 steel would take out Tom.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    If you've never fired a 2 1/4 Oz. 3.5" turkey load out of a lightweight alloy receiver pump, you don't know what you're missing. It's quite the stunt.

Been there, done that.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    I gave up on the 3.5” 2 1/4 oz turkey loads. Way too much recoil out of an 870. 3” load of 5’s kills just as dead.
    What is your choice for turkeys, lead or non toxic?
    Is your choice personal or state law?

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I gave up on the 3.5” 2 1/4 oz turkey loads. Way too much recoil out of an 870. 3” load of 5’s kills just as dead.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    For turkeys, I use a good quality high velocity, lead #8's. I've got a butt load of Rem 16 gauge, high brass, #7.5's a guy gave me years ago. Worked great on turkey.
    The only 3" shotgun ammo I shoot is in my .410.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    I have shot 3.5 inch guns on geese. If running steel Id demand it due to need for larger shot.

Turkey i just use 3".....in my 3.5" 870.

Last goose hunt was w 3" bismith 2's. Which killed better than 3.5" BBB conventional steel.

You can up your payload too much and drop your V.
    Lots of people did that around 2000, w folks thinking 2 oz of #6 would be a good long range turkey load ) due to number of pellets striking ).

American Hunter or Rifleman did a test and found that w todays choke tubes you could get enough hits at distance, ao the goal was to keep pellet energy up.
    Hence the high velocity loads ( marketed as such ).

Coworker, a math major, thought different and cold cocked a couple toms, that got up and ran off.
    Rather than listen to the science, he went w 2 oz of #5s.

I ran HV4s in 3" and for my choke, they worked fine to 45 yards. Optic and magnum blend performance ammo my choice now. Supposed to be good to 60 yards.

Of course the turkeys have been farther than that so no field data LOL
    I do have a variety of specialty steel in 3 and 3.5" for geese, if I ever get back into it. Blindside and Heavy steel and Black cloud.

Have an 1100 magnum and an 870 supermag.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget