Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3" (3.5"?) option.

Is 3 inch ammo "really" necessary?

When increasing shell length (12 gauge), any gain is recoil and payload.
    Using 3" or 3.5" ammo doesn't increase velocity, only pattern density and even that isn't that significant.

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/shotg...hotgun-shells/

Which you need with steel. Actually though my mindset is the other way. A 3" 20 will hang with the 16 with less gun weight while still allowing you to drop down even further for all day carry or a blistering dove day. Love affair aside, this argument was settled by much better shooters than us over and over years ago. Mic drop.🤔😜

Comment

Yeah, prolly so, but the fact remains that 3" and 3.5" ammo only adds to the pattern and recoil.

Comment

Probably not necessary but in certain circumstances it has its advantages. Not a thing wrong with having options.

I read the article FB, dunno who the guy is but have to wonder about the Canadian reference. Some of the replies after the article are scary.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Probably not necessary but in certain circumstances it has its advantages. Not a thing wrong with having options.

I read the article FB, dunno who the guy is but have to wonder about the Canadian reference. Some of the replies after the article are scary.
          I really didn't read the replies. Yes sir, pretty scary.
          Almost as scary as some of the questions we used to get in the shop!

Truth is stranger than fiction!

Comment

If you've never fired a 2 1/4 Oz. 3.5" turkey load out of a lightweight alloy receiver pump, you don't know what you're missing. It's quite the stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
              If you've never fired a 2 1/4 Oz. 3.5" turkey load out of a lightweight alloy receiver pump, you don't know what you're missing. It's quite the stunt.
              I can only imagine! 🤯😳😖

Comment

I am a proponent of "dense pattern" over "shot size".
                If others want to shoot 3" or 3.5" ammo to achieve that end, that's up to them.
                I am also a 16 gauge proponent. Not that the 12 and 20 gauge guns (I have both) don't have positives, but so does the 16. I guess the fact that I cut my teeth on a 16 has something to do with my love for that gauge.

One of my goals this spring, is to take a turkey with a .410! 😜

I promise - I will not ridicule any gauge or ammo choice. They are all relevant.

Comment

I have shot 3.5 inch guns on geese. If running steel Id demand it due to need for larger shot.

Turkey i just use 3".....in my 3.5" 870.

Last goose hunt was w 3" bismith 2's. Which killed better than 3.5" BBB conventional steel.

You can up your payload too much and drop your V.
                  Lots of people did that around 2000, w folks thinking 2 oz of #6 would be a good long range turkey load ) due to number of pellets striking ).

American Hunter or Rifleman did a test and found that w todays choke tubes you could get enough hits at distance, ao the goal was to keep pellet energy up.
                  Hence the high velocity loads ( marketed as such ).

Coworker, a math major, thought different and cold cocked a couple toms, that got up and ran off.
                  Rather than listen to the science, he went w 2 oz of #5s.

I ran HV4s in 3" and for my choke, they worked fine to 45 yards. Optic and magnum blend performance ammo my choice now. Supposed to be good to 60 yards.

Of course the turkeys have been farther than that so no field data LOL
                  I do have a variety of specialty steel in 3 and 3.5" for geese, if I ever get back into it. Blindside and Heavy steel and Black cloud.

Have an 1100 magnum and an 870 supermag.

Comment

For turkeys, I use a good quality high velocity, lead #8's. I've got a butt load of Rem 16 gauge, high brass, #7.5's a guy gave me years ago. Worked great on turkey.
                    The only 3" shotgun ammo I shoot is in my .410.

Comment

I gave up on the 3.5” 2 1/4 oz turkey loads. Way too much recoil out of an 870. 3” load of 5’s kills just as dead.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                        I gave up on the 3.5” 2 1/4 oz turkey loads. Way too much recoil out of an 870. 3” load of 5’s kills just as dead.
                        What is your choice for turkeys, lead or non toxic?
                        Is your choice personal or state law?

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

What is your choice for turkeys, lead or non toxic?
                            Is your choice personal or state law?
                            I shoot #5 lead Remington turkey loads. No state requirement to use non-toxic. If there were, I’m sure a load of #3 steel would take out Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                              For turkeys, I use a good quality high velocity, lead #8's. I've got a butt load of Rem 16 gauge, high brass, #7.5's a guy gave me years ago. Worked great on turkey.
                              The only 3" shotgun ammo I shoot is in my .410.
                              My neighbor lady killed the biggest Merriam’s tom that I’ve seen with a .410 this season while grouse hunting (we have a fall season). I usually shoot at grouse with a 20 ga.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget