Briley or Cutts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briley or Cutts

A couple of years back, I bought (stole?) a clean but well used Rem "Sportsman" 16 gauge.
    As with any use, pawn shop sleeper, it came with a single barrel choked IC.
    Due to shoulder surgery, i think this simple semi auto would serve me well as an "all-around" shotgun, except for the single, fixed choke barrel.

My two options are the Briley system or a Cutts Compensator.

I've got a Win M12 16 gauge with a Cutts. Not a bad set up. I just like the Briley because it's less "visible".
    The Briley is a little more expensive.
    I think either will work just fine.

Which would you prefer, Briley or Cutts?
    Why?

Briley would be an easier sell down the road. Might cost more up front but since you picked it up cheap why not.

Comment

Gun values drop up to 50% with a Cutts. Not my words, professional "Blue Bookers" who actually consider them "severe damage". No lie G.I. I believe Briley's increase value, more so than Colonial thinwall choke tubes.
      Last edited by dewman; 01-08-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

fitch270 - Never cared for either a Cutts and cared even less for a Polychoke.
        When I bought the M12 with the Cutts, I immediately called and asked what it would cost to remove it.
        He advised me to try it first.
        Still don't like that knot on the end of the barrel, but now my single barrel now can have IC, MOD or Full chokes with a simple tube change.
        If I get the Briley inserts, my kids might sell it, but I won't.
        It'll be my "all around", go to.

dewman, if they want to call it "damage", I guess that's ok. But I definitely see it as a detriment to a guns value.
        I don't know "How" to tell the difference, but I understand both Rem and Win would install a Cutts on their shotguns upon request.
        Not a bad idea for a one gun hunter who hunts various game. Ducks, dove, turkeys, quail, etc.

Comment

Didn’t figure you’d be the one to sell it but eventually.....

Buy once, cry once.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            Didn’t figure you’d be the one to sell it but eventually.....

Buy once, cry once.
            There was a point in my life where a semi auto, even 16 gauge would have been a flip affair.
            At my age, a soft shooter with multiple chokes?
            What's NOT to like?

Comment

I have had both and they work. My latest is a 16ga with an adjustable poly choke.
              Last edited by jhjimbo; 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I can't speak as to their efficiency, but I've never been impressed with a PolyChoke.
                Later in my young, impressionable life, I was informed that the Cutts Comp was miles ahead of the PolyChoke.
                You only found Poly Choke on Mossberg, Revelation and other bargain basement tent stakes.
                Cutts were found on Rem and Win firearms.

dewman, a PolyChoke never affected the value of the guns that came in our shop. The gun wasn't worth much anyway! LOL!
                Sadly, even a Cutts on a Rem or Win always reduced it's value.

The gunsmith I talked to about removing the Cutts on the M12 I bought, felt the gun was worth more with the Cutts in place than what you'd end up with by removing it.
                I gave it to the youngest who immediately ordered a FULL and another IC tube (came as a set) for the gun. It came with only an IC tube.
                The FULL tube patterns very well!

Comment

The Briley system is a turnkey operation.
                  The barrel is back bored and threaded and you get 3 choke (flush mounted, lead and bismuth only) tubes for $299.
                  Steel tubes are more expensive.
                  Since finding steel shot for a 16 gauge is nigh on to impossible, I'd go for the lead & bismuth only tubes.
                  I'm thinking Xtra-Full for turkeys, Mod and IC for just all around usefulness.

Comment

Alright you two! (fitch270 and dewman)
                    After a brief meeting with the Minister of Finance to discuss future acquisitions, the proposal for a set of Briley chokes plus barrel prep was entertained. With the addition of an amendment for some near future book funding, the measure was passed!
                    With a phone call Monday, the choke acquisition may soon develope.
                    The biggest question now is "turn-a-round".
                    Short turn-a-round (30, 60, 90 days) and I'll take delivery in S Texas.
                    Six months to a year? Maybe Oklahoma.
                    We'll see Monday.

BTW!
                    I tentatively attempted to shoot the shotgun this morning. Three hundred bucks on a shotgun I can't shoot doesn't make any sense! LOL!
                    Happily, I can report that the recoil of a 16 gauge Remington "Sportsman" on a prosthetic shoulder joint is quite acceptable!
                    A day on a trap/skeet range may not be a good idea.
                    A squirrel hunt or quail shoot or just varmint control will be just fine!

Comment

Good deal, now we just need pics of said 16 gauge!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                        Good deal, now we just need pics of said 16 gauge!
                        "SOITAINLY!"

20210109_194942.jpg Found this jewel in a "chain" pawn shop. Sixteen gauge doesn't sell well in the area.
                        20210109_194915.jpg When I asked about it, the kid wanted it off the shelf and was willing to deal!

Remington began building the "Sportsman" in the early 30's.
                        When they starting building the 16 gauge, they started with serial number 200000. The serial number on this gun is 2004**, so it's one of the first 500 made.
                        The barrel isn't original to the reciever. The markings indicate it came from the Remington customer shop.

It isn't a M11, M48 or the M11-48.
                        It's just a Rem "Sportsman".
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 01-09-2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

That is a lovely gun. You love the 16 ga don't you? A 16 or 20 would temp me also. Glad you are keeping its lines FB. Was a little surprised you were considering the work before firing. Nothing I shoot (rifle,pistol,shotgun) gets one penny spent on it in upgrades till I decide if it stays or goes. Pretty sure we are all like that here for the most part. Then again, can't count how many I wish I still had because finances or boredom at the time convinced me to sell. Again, really like how that shotgun looks. Nice

Comment

Thanks for posting those FB, nice old gun there.

Comment

dewman, yes, I'm a "HUGE" 16 gauge fanatic.
                              I've got 5 total 16's. This is the only auto.
                              Seldom do I buy a gun, take it home and not shoot it. This one I didn't.
                              In fact, I was a tad miffed because it was an IC barrel. Not much I hunt calls for an IC choke.
                              I spotted a skunk in the yard one day, so I grabbed this shotgun to dispose of it since recoil would be light.
                              When the gun went off, I almost droppeddthe gun and dropped to me knees, the pain in my shoulder was so awful!
                              That led to shoulder replacement surgery in Aug 2019.
                              Two years from surgery to shooting per the surgeon.
                              I'm pushing the envelope.
                              Now I know that $300 ain't no king's ransom, but I agree. I'm not spending money on an improvement that doesn't help me.
                              I took it out yesterday. Shooting it was suprising comfortable.
                              Briley chokes will make it more compatible to my hunting desires.

fitch270, thanks.
                              It is quite a handsome piece in my not so humble opinion! LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo shortage over?
                                by dewman
                                Stopped off at my favorite gun shop this morning. His shelves were full of ammo, powder. Remington, winchester, federal, CCI, Aguilar, all the .22's were...
                                Today, 12:14 PM
                              • More reloading stuff
                                by fitch270

Rather than hijack RA’s reloading thread I thought I’d continue my progress separately. Pretty sure we can keep both running....
                                01-18-2021, 11:19 PM
                              • 17hm2 fail part 3 CCI response
                                by dewman
                                Been in email contact with technical service rep Cody B. through out the day . They are sending me UPS to pick up ammo and take it to them. Will reimburse...
                                01-18-2021, 07:12 PM
                              • 17hm2 detonation part 2
                                by dewman
                                So this morning I went to pry the blockage out. Surprise! All that came out, and popped out easily, was the bullet still sitting in the throat. Tip intact(messed...
                                01-17-2021, 11:52 AM
                              • 17hm2 explodes in the chamber
                                by dewman
                                $65 to replace magwell& clip if gun is o.k.Was at a friends shooting our rimfires at flocks of blackbirds. Me with my ever present CZ. I lined up...
                                01-16-2021, 08:56 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X