Getting ready for dove season?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
    I think I’m ready. I’ve shot some flying clay targets to prep for doves, ducks, geese and quail. I scout 2-3 times a week, every week because last year I didn’t see a deer on public land for the entire last month of the season and I’m not getting in that situation again. Also finding lots of bears. Seen some squirrels but more than likely if I’m squirrel hunting it’ll be with curs this year.

My 308 is sighted in and shooting very well with handloads. My 30-30 is also ready, but my other rifles need some work. I’m still in the process of finding my new 270 handloads.
    That .308 is a little rough on dove, isn't it? LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
      I think I’m ready. I’ve shot some flying clay targets to prep for doves, ducks, geese and quail. I scout 2-3 times a week, every week because last year I didn’t see a deer on public land for the entire last month of the season and I’m not getting in that situation again. Also finding lots of bears. Seen some squirrels but more than likely if I’m squirrel hunting it’ll be with curs this year.

My 308 is sighted in and shooting very well with handloads. My 30-30 is also ready, but my other rifles need some work. I’m still in the process of finding my new 270 handloads.
      A little weak IMO. Next year my dove gun will probably be a 375 or 416

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
        I've always wanted to try dove hunting.
        Robert Ruark described dove hunting as, "...the hardest easy shooting, or the easiest hard shooting there is." Very apt. On my good days, I'll scare ya, but on the other days I can't hit the ground with my hat.
        Respectfully,
        Country road

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
          I've always wanted to try dove hunting.
          To me, dove hunting was an opportunity to burn ammo for a reason with an occasional meal (?) thrown in.
          It takes a butt load of birds to feed very many people, especially when it's a bunch of big old, country, hungry bird hunters! LOL!
          Better have lots of side dishes!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget