Getting ready for dove season?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for dove season?

Sept 1 kicks off the season for deer, duck, squirrel, etc.
    Are you getting ready?

I'm in no way ready for anything yet. Still needing to practice with the compound bow - archery deer season starts on October 15th. I've done very little scouting on the hunting lease I've joined but know there are big bucks on the property.

Also have lots of shooting to do and have been waiting on my suppressors to get out of jail.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      I'm in no way ready for anything yet. Still needing to practice with the compound bow - archery deer season starts on October 15th. I've done very little scouting on the hunting lease I've joined but know there are big bucks on the property.

Also have lots of shooting to do and have been waiting on my suppressors to get out of jail.
      suppressor!
      bah!
      humbug!
      LOL!

Comment

I think I’m ready. I’ve shot some flying clay targets to prep for doves, ducks, geese and quail. I scout 2-3 times a week, every week because last year I didn’t see a deer on public land for the entire last month of the season and I’m not getting in that situation again. Also finding lots of bears. Seen some squirrels but more than likely if I’m squirrel hunting it’ll be with curs this year.

My 308 is sighted in and shooting very well with handloads. My 30-30 is also ready, but my other rifles need some work. I’m still in the process of finding my new 270 handloads.

Comment

I've had (for me) a slow start to squirrel season as the stream fishing has been beyond belief this year and I've run across no one even though it's all public and easily accessible. Squirrels are cutting hickory nuts now so chasing them will pick up. The two fellas I dove hunt with are farmers and have our fields and spots picked out so scouting is done. Shot my first suppressed rimfire so now I'm pining for a Ruger precision rimfire with a suppressor. I suggest for dove you try Winchester AA. They cost a little more but they pattern so evenly out of everything I shoot that I end up shooting much less so in fact I save money. Your 16 ga Rem sportsman is fine, one to be envied. I will be using the usuals, a Rem 1100 in either the lt-20 or 12 configuration.

Comment

We don't have a dove season in NY; there's a movement afoot to change that, but I don't know if any progress has been made in the state capital. Squirrels open on Sept. 1st. I don't usually do much hunting until October, when the other small game seasons open; I like cold weather for hunting. I've been flushing plenty of grouse during my blackberry picking, so that's looking good. I don't bowhunt deer so the third Saturday in November, gun season opener, is the soonest I'll be out for venison. Two-week fall turkey season, second half of October; I'll probably get out a couple times for that. Like Dew said, though, the fishing has been pretty good. Lots of rain, streams well above the usual summer drought levels. I'll probably fish more than anything else all the way through fall.

Comment

LOL! You wouldn't be saying that if you've ever shot a .300 BLK subsonic suppressed! Some of the prime hunting spots on the lease are within a couple hundred yards of houses. They'll never know I'm there even when I shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                I've had (for me) a slow start to squirrel season as the stream fishing has been beyond belief this year and I've run across no one even though it's all public and easily accessible. Squirrels are cutting hickory nuts now so chasing them will pick up. The two fellas I dove hunt with are farmers and have our fields and spots picked out so scouting is done. Shot my first suppressed rimfire so now I'm pining for a Ruger precision rimfire with a suppressor. I suggest for dove you try Winchester AA. They cost a little more but they pattern so evenly out of everything I shoot that I end up shooting much less so in fact I save money. Your 16 ga Rem sportsman is fine, one to be envied. I will be using the usuals, a Rem 1100 in either the lt-20 or 12 configuration.
                "... Squirrels are cutting hickory nuts ..."
                How many people do you know call those "hicker" nuts though the tree is still referred to as hickory?

Comment

I'll have to look, but I don't think Winchester builds AA ammo in 16 gauge.
                  In the late 80's, my foreman called me into the office and handed me a plastic trashcan.
                  It was about 1/3 full of 16 gauge ammo!
                  There was a bunch of Remington high brass 7 1/2's and almost as many Rem #8 field loads.
                  The brass and plastic are still clean. I'll be using them.
                  I try to grab ammo when I can find it.

Comment

We shoot a few hand thrown clays , making it a game to throw a bird that's legit but unknown where it's going, so you call for the bird with the gun cradled. Early season birds are quick to adjust to shooting and learn to flare at any movement so it helps if you prepare for that defense where they drop about three feet as they turn 45 degrees and turn on their after burners. A few things to help the novice dove shooter, only shoot at birds that will fall where you can easily find them. Don,t reload when you see your bird hit the ground, go straight to him without taking your eyes off of him, they blend in well. Let the wide birds go undisturbed, an save your shells on the sky busters. Before you enter the field ,most times you can discern a favored flight path to set up your station. Don,t shoot low birds in fields with other hunters. Whether you shoot a sitting bird or not is up to you,but it's not considered very sporting, rather flush him out for a fair shot. Good luck, safe Shooting,

Comment

pighunter,
                      You know my OFS is near terminal! LOL!
                      Financially, this old tightwad can't turn loose if that kind of money and the licensure really grinds my grits!
                      Actually, I think I could enjoy a suppressed rifle.

Comment

You're right there are no 16 ga AA shells. Sportsmansguide looks like they carry several though, mostly Remington.

Comment

I've always wanted to try dove hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                            We shoot a few hand thrown clays , making it a game to throw a bird that's legit but unknown where it's going, so you call for the bird with the gun cradled. Early season birds are quick to adjust to shooting and learn to flare at any movement so it helps if you prepare for that defense where they drop about three feet as they turn 45 degrees and turn on their after burners. A few things to help the novice dove shooter, only shoot at birds that will fall where you can easily find them. Don,t reload when you see your bird hit the ground, go straight to him without taking your eyes off of him, they blend in well. Let the wide birds go undisturbed, an save your shells on the sky busters. Before you enter the field ,most times you can discern a favored flight path to set up your station. Don,t shoot low birds in fields with other hunters. Whether you shoot a sitting bird or not is up to you,but it's not considered very sporting, rather flush him out for a fair shot. Good luck, safe Shooting,
                            Now that's some good advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                              I've always wanted to try dove hunting.
                              Welllllll....get out there and give it a shot! (pun intended!)
                              Dove hunting is much more fun when it's a group effort.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget