Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Y'all...I'm in The Market For A New Very Light 12Ga Semi~Auto Shotgun, 24" Bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Y'all...I'm in The Market For A New Very Light 12Ga Semi~Auto Shotgun, 24" Bbl

I'm getting Older & Slower But I love Grouse Hunting in NC, Hills, So I would Like Some of Your Picks, My Budget is $1,200+/- Thanks

For a 12 ga auto which is what you're asking about
    First choice Franchi 48al
    Second choice Beretta A-400 xplor
    Why not a 20? I've used a 20 ga 1100 lt-20 for decades and never wished for a 12 once.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      Why not a 20? I've used a 20 ga 1100 lt-20 for decades and never wished for a 12 once.
      I like a 12ga for the greater amount of Shot 1.1/8 per-Shell in dense brush & leaves. I have a 20ga Ithaca i use in late season grouse. And thank you for the picks;-)) I like the Franchi 48aL......

Comment

I lean toward the Benelli line of semi-auto shotguns for their handling characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          You can go out your back door and start to hunt. I live in N,Fl, and drive to NC, 10 hr drive to Hunt, So to insure my time the 12ga serve me well and puts at least two birds on the table first day. I buy a 10 day out of state Small Game Lic. need to make the best of my time!!;-))

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
            I lean toward the Benelli line of semi-auto shotguns for their handling characteristics.
            I like the Benelli ultra light 12ga at 6lb...but $1,600 is out of my range for a once a year Grouse Hunt. I'm looking at Mossberg SA~12 @ 6.2Lb made by {Armslite} 24"bbl vent rib, real walnut stock. msrp $800.00

Comment

Hey TREE, I forgot about the affinity till I saw it on your F&S thread.( man, some craziness over there huh) : ) There again though, dropping to a 20 ga. instantly sheds a full pound.

Comment

Lol,Go to any skeet tournament,the majority of shooters still shoot the venerable Remminton 1100,and for good reason.Reliability is the number one reason,keep the ports clean and it shoots ,it,S recoil is light enough to shoot through a tournament and a shoot off without punishing your shoulder for the other three hundred rounds ,20ga. X100, .28gax100 and the . 410. People are surprised when I tell them that the guy that breaks all those clays with a Benneli,well he can do it with The 1100 also. You can spend more money if you can afford it,or just want to impress with your new Corvette. Personally for grouse and quail,I always favored the 870 pump. The split second it takes to pump and reload always seemed to help refocus on a disappearing bird.

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                  Lol,Go to any skeet tournament,the majority of shooters still shoot the venerable Remminton 1100,and for good reason.Reliability is the number one reason,keep the ports clean and it shoots ,it,S recoil is light enough to shoot through a tournament and a shoot off without punishing your shoulder for the other three hundred rounds ,20ga. X100, .28gax100 and the . 410. People are surprised when I tell them that the guy that breaks all those clays with a Benneli,well he can do it with The 1100 also. You can spend more money if you can afford it,or just want to impress with your new Corvette. Personally for grouse and quail,I always favored the 870 pump. The split second it takes to pump and reload always seemed to help refocus on a disappearing bird.
                  I am a lifelong 1100 shooter both in 12 and in 20, and I've had a 12 and 20ga 870 since 1980 as well and though they are my favorites 90% of the time, for timber grouse there are better choices that are quicker and will give you an edge. Remember you don't trudge miles through briars to shoot skeet.

Comment

Hey Tree ol' buddy.

Seems like a Benelli or Beretta would have an S/A that fits that bill very nicely. Franchi too. Those are the ones that I'm guessing are going to be the lightest weight manufacturers.

As a Dark Horse why not look at TriStar, the price is right and the weight is only slightly higher than those Italian beauties. 12 gauge semi-auto 26" barrel 6.8lbs $529 You could buy 2

Comment

I couldn't, dis agree more with that assessment ,skeet is an expensive hobby ,and those that travel from state to state could afford any gun made,yet the 1100 is still the popular choice. What does briers and trudging for grouse have more in common than reliability ,fast target acquisition,and doesn't,beat you down doing it. If there were a more reasonable gun to shoot,then these shooters would be using it,as they strive for any advantage over their competitors. I never mentioned cost,as most people that chose the 1100 know ,you can spend more for a envied name,but it doesn't, improve your score,or fill your sack.

Comment

Walking up and down for hours turn arms and legs to jelly. Those muscles have to snap back to form in a flash during a flush. Skeet and grouse hunting are not the same. Dove hunting maybe, but not grouse hunting.

Comment

I have to agree a flat skeet field doesn't. Pose the same degree of difficulty some of those high ridges ,hills and hollers did. But on the other hand I never shot a couple hundred rounds in one day for grouse,quail,only once for doves.I may have come up short a few times,and my age ,and health don,t allow any more grouse expeditions. That 1100 though is still capable. I do also miss eating those grouse,they are right there with quail on a platter. Good luck Dew

Comment

As I was rereading our back and forth it struck me that even as I'm selling off my excess weaponry, the 3 I'm keeping till the end are 2- 1100's and an 870. The 870 is a 1981 with a fixed modified and the 1100's are a 1977 lt-20 and an early 80's 12ga. Choked cylinder and full. But then again there aren't any ruffs here anymore and I'm certainly not what I used to be and shooting 100 rds in a day is more than I care to do. Guess what I'm getting st is my opinion ain't set in stone and I may be contradicting myself. Do as I say type of deal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X