Cleaning a Browning Gold... 12ga semi-auto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a Browning Gold... 12ga semi-auto

I have shot my Browning Gold enough I thought I should look at a break down cleaning so out came the Owners Manual. I learned a few things and also have a question.
    First the shotgun is capable of steel shot as well as chokes. I was not sure of that.
    Second, it is capable of 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2" shells. Hence the question: the operators manual says up to 3 1/2 shells but the barrel only mentiones 3". What gives?
    I already knew this but lots of warnings not to release retracted bolt when no barrel on receiver.
    Another thing I learned is the shotgun can be broken down as far as Browning recommends for cleaning without tools, including trigger assembly, bolt, bolt carrier, magazine tube and operating mechanism - except the wrench to remove chokes(they only mention oil for choke but I always used a little never-sieze) .
    Very light cleaning except the gas operating collar may require a little more if there is a build up of carbon - only after many many shots and depending on powder and load.
    Can anyone add anything to the above. Jim

jimbo as for chamber size, Once the Barrel is removed insert a 3.5 Round to see fit. If not don't use 3.5 shells. #2 I never use Oil on the Friction Rings, I use Garphite power or paste. just saying;-))

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
      jimbo as for chamber size, Once the Barrel is removed insert a 3.5 Round to see fit. If not don't use 3.5 shells. #2 I never use Oil on the Friction Rings, I use Garphite power or paste. just saying;-))
      this does not have friction rings, and they do say a lite film of oil on the magazine tube. The ring is metal and should not be taken apart, only cleaned.
      I don't have a 3 1/2" shell and will probably never shoot them, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
        jimbo, I have an old Browning M-2000 with friction rings..I'm an Old School Guy;-))

Comment

Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?

READ THE ENTIRE ANSWER BELOW BEFORE USING STEEL SHOT IN ANY FIREARM

All current Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus and DS choke tube systems are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ring bulge" just inches behind the muzzle or irreversible damage or harm to the shooter depending on the firearm. Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

All Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus or DS choke tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: Nearly all Browning firearms manufactured after 1975 have two letters in the serial number. The two letters indicate the year of manufacture: M=0, Z=1, Y=2, X=3, W=4, V=5, T=6, R=7, P=8, N=9.

FUTURE: Obviously, we have no control over the ammunition companies and the loads they will produce in the future. So, if in doubt, please check with us or the ammunition company before using new loads in your shotgun.

"Second, it is capable of 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2" shells. Hence the question: the operators manual says up to 3 1/2 shells but the barrel only mentiones 3". What gives?
          I'm not sure either, check out below.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
            Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?

READ THE ENTIRE ANSWER BELOW BEFORE USING STEEL SHOT IN ANY FIREARM

All current Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus and DS choke tube systems are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ring bulge" just inches behind the muzzle or irreversible damage or harm to the shooter depending on the firearm. Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

All Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus or DS choke tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.

2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT:

The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)

3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS:

The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: Nearly all Browning firearms manufactured after 1975 have two letters in the serial number. The two letters indicate the year of manufacture: M=0, Z=1, Y=2, X=3, W=4, V=5, T=6, R=7, P=8, N=9.

FUTURE: Obviously, we have no control over the ammunition companies and the loads they will produce in the future. So, if in doubt, please check with us or the ammunition company before using new loads in your shotgun.

"Second, it is capable of 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2" shells. Hence the question: the operators manual says up to 3 1/2 shells but the barrel only mentiones 3". What gives?
            I'm not sure either, check out below.
            Thanks for the expanded info. I will probably just stick with 2 3/4 or 3".
            My Browning was made in 2005 and I bought new in 2006.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget