Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new pump action, have tried out the Remy 870 and 887 and wasn't too impressed. I am now looking into either a Mossberg 500 or Winchester SXP. I am certain that many of you own any of the four pumps mentioned here, but I want to know you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new pump action, have tried out the Remy 870 and 887 and wasn't too impressed. I am now looking into either a Mossberg 500 or Winchester SXP. I am certain that many of you own any of the four pumps mentioned here, but I want to know you

Looking for a new pump action, have tried out the Remy 870 and 887 and wasn't too impressed. I am now looking into either a Mossberg 500 or Winchester SXP. I am certain that many of you own any of the four pumps mentioned here, but I want to know your thoughts on the 500 and SXP. I prefer to use one gun for everything I do from waterfowl, upland and clays.

My father owns a Mossberg 500 and has been hunting waterfowl for years, even before i was born. I've also got a good friend of mine in law enforcement with a Mossberg 930 SPX, even though its a semi-automatic... its the best home defense shotgun in my book. I got to practice with the 500, clay shooting and taken it to the range numerous times. I love the thing, always accurate, nice on the cheek and shoulder. Its got less of a kick than my 20 gauge single break barrel. I recommend the Mossberg, but theres nothing wrong with a Winchester, i've just had more experience with Mossberg's my whole life.

Comment

I own a Mossberg 500 Field and Deer combo(came with a smooth and rifled barrel with a scope). In honesty, it is my beater gun. I abuse the thing, but it always works. I got it on sale for under $300 new.
      -My go to shotgun is a Remington 870 Wingmaster. The new ones shouldn't even be allowed to be called an 870 since the quality is so poor on some. If you can find a used one from the 90s or earlier I'd pick one up. Also, look at the Wingmaster. Higher quality.

Comment

Double post....

Comment

I just purchased the Mossberg 500 and I love it so far. Never shot a Winchester.

Comment

I've been hunting with the Mossberg 500 for two years now. I love it and prefer it to the 870. I like the thumb actuated safety instead of the trigger guard safety on the 870, its much quicker and more natural to use. It shoots the Winchester rifled slugs great for deer. For waterfowl its great, points well. The only downside I can think of is that the factory blueing on the barrel and magazine tube is a bit shoddy. I don't expect much for the low price of the gun, but its just something to watch out for especially if you hunt any saltwater.

Comment

I know you didn't ask about it, but you might want to look at a Browning BPS. I started shooting one back in the early 80's when we started waterfowl hunting out of a boat blind. I liked the bottom eject so I wouldn't hit my partner in the head with empties like was happening with my 870. I have been shooting BPS's every since and currently own five of them in various gauges. I agree with JM about the 870. If you want a good one, get a Wingmaster. The new 870 Express can be junk.

Comment

You might also check out the Benelli Nova. I would agree the Browning BPS is also a fine pump.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                  by fitch270
                  ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                  Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                • Covid-19
                  by jhjimbo
                  Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                  09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                • Spur of the moment rifle
                  by Amflyer
                  I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                  09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                • The $20 Shooting Shack
                  by fitch270
                  So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                  09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                  by dewman
                  one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                  09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X