Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was told I could use a smooth barreled shotgun and shoot rifled slugs for deer hunting. Is this true, and what are the differences between this and having a rifled barrel and using regular slugs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was told I could use a smooth barreled shotgun and shoot rifled slugs for deer hunting. Is this true, and what are the differences between this and having a rifled barrel and using regular slugs??

I was told I could use a smooth barreled shotgun and shoot rifled slugs for deer hunting. Is this true, and what are the differences between this and having a rifled barrel and using regular slugs??

Yes. Use ic choke. Regular slugs, aka pumpkin balls are not as accurate as sabots shot from rifled barrels.
    later,
    charlie

Comment

Rifled slugs are designed for smooth bore shotguns and sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels. As Charlie pointed out, there is a big difference in accuracy between the two.

Comment

Rifled slugs are kind of a poor-man's imitation of a rifled barrel. I don't know what would happen if you shot a rifled slug through a rifled barrel, but I suspect it wouldn't produce good accuracy.

Comment

The rifling on a slug does little to help accuracy. I always thought it was more of arketing aid. Slugs are accurate out about 50-60 yards then they start tumbling. Rifled barrels are accurate to 100-150 yds. with a sabot bullet.
          later,
          charlie

Comment

From what I was always taught, you want to shoot a slug through a smooth bore, but do not want a tight choke, IC or more open. A sabot slug should be shot through a rifled barrel. The lanes and grooves will spin the sabot, allowing a further and more accurate shot. Will shooting a slug through a rifled barrel hurt the gun? No, but so many might gum-up your rifling. Will shooting a sabot slug through a smooth bore hurt the gun? No, but you will suffer in accuracy since the bullet isn't twisting as it's made to. If you wanna try, I have heard good things on a rifled choke. Put that in a smooth bore and shoot a sabot...that choke may give you just enough twist at the end to mildly increase your accuracy. I know in my experience that buying a rifled barrel just isn't in the budget.

Comment

I agree that the rifling on a slug is a marketing tool. It leads people to think the slug will twist and help accuracy. The weight distribution designed into a slug is what helps it fly as straight as it does. It is heavy in the front and hollow in the back. I also think the rifling creates less surface and helps the slug through a choke in the event it is shot through one that's too tight.

Comment

same make same model shotguns shoot slugs different ,rifled barrels tend to be more accurate. you just have to find what works best for you .

Comment

Twenty years ago rifled barrels were a novelty, and hunters in NYS killed 250000 deer. Then Rifled Barrels became commonplace and hunters killed 250000 deer. Today you can hunt with rifles and make an accurate kill shot out to 500 yards, and hunters killed 250,000 deer.
                  I suspect that in a few years we will be hunting with photons shooting lasers, and hunters will kill 250000 deer.
                  The argument which will shoot better is mostly a marketing gimmick and how you hunt has more to do with your ability to kill a deer than your equipment. Replace your thinking from minute of angle to minute of deer, adjust your hunting accordingly and you'll do better than worrying about a, inch of accuracy at 100 yards.

Comment

My son has a double barrel 12 gauge, old one sears and robuck would it damage the barrel if you shoot rifle slugs

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                      by dewman
                      Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                      Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                    • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                      by dewman
                      Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                      Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                    • What is taking so long ?
                      by jhjimbo
                      Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                      09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                    • Burn cream
                      by CD2
                      Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                      No longer does.
                      Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                      Bargain.

Got...
                      09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                    • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                      by dewman
                      So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                      09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X