Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for a home defense gun for a medium build lady in her mid 60`s? She doesn't hunt, but has shot a bit. I'm wonder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for a home defense gun for a medium build lady in her mid 60`s? She doesn't hunt, but has shot a bit. I'm wonder

Any suggestions for a home defense gun for a medium build lady in her mid 60`s? She doesn't hunt, but has shot a bit. I'm wondering about a coach style double or an 870 youth model in 20 gauge. She could practice with target loads to get used to the gun, but I was thinking #2 buckshot for when it counts. Thank you for any thoughts!

I'm no home-defense expert, but those sound good to me. Of the two, the double might require less thinking to use in stressful situation like a burglary, but as long as she practices some the 870 should be okay too. You could use #4 buckshot too, instead of #2, but again, either should work.
    If she doesn't like the recoil of a shotgun, another option would be one of the many compact 9mm semi-auto carbines on the market. My brother has one (can't remember the brand right now), and it's very light and compact, doesn't kick at all, and is pretty reliable with quality loads.

Comment

For the price and options, I'd go with the Rossi Circuit Judge. If she's comfortable with a .45LC that'd be a great gun you could cycle 6 quick shots through. With the advancements in .410 self-defense shells, you can't go wrong with it and at a low price, it's very versatile.

Comment

Like officerdoom said the Judge is a great home defense gun. The 410 is available with three shot in it, about .38 caliber - excellent stopping power at short range.

Comment

I think a 20 gauge 870 with a slug barrel would do the trick. Put the Improved Cylinder choke tube in and use buckshot. It would be a short easy handling defense weapon.

Comment

Forgot to mention in my previous post, if you do go with one of the shotguns, be sure to use a Cylinder or Improved Cylinder choke. Anything tighter than IC would produce such a small pattern at typical self-defense distances that it would defeat the purpose of using a shotgun.
            Also, the brand of my brother's 9mm carbine is Hi-Point, in case that option interested you.

Comment

If she can handle the 20 gauge great. My misses has a mossburg 410 home defence shotgun loaded with buck shot and two slugs.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas, guys. There is a gun show in Des Moines this weekend. I'm going over today to see what I can pick up for her. She lives alone in the country and two houses have recently been burglarized along her road. The thieves are so brazen that they are breaking in while the residents are asleep. I just can't have her out there at the mercy of this type of human filth.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                  by dewman
                  All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                  Yesterday, 09:36 PM
                • Ammunition vs. components.
                  by Red Angus
                  Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                  Yesterday, 11:03 AM
                • Deer population
                  by Red Angus
                  Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                  03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                • Nice find poochie!
                  by FirstBubba
                  The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                  THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                  02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                • 6.8 Western
                  by jhjimbo
                  Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                  02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X