Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use a pump shotgun with an 18" barrel for skeet or other clay activities with a tight choke? I want a shotgun for home d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use a pump shotgun with an 18" barrel for skeet or other clay activities with a tight choke? I want a shotgun for home d

Can you use a pump shotgun with an 18" barrel for skeet or other clay activities with a tight choke? I want a shotgun for home defense that I can also shoot clays without having a gun with a longer barrel.

My guess is you could not shoot skeet very well with an 18" barrel. Why not get a gun with a 28" barrel with screw in chokes and then get another 18" barrel with a I.C. choke for home protection.?

Comment

I personally think barrel length is somewhat overrated in wingshooting, so I think you'd be okay. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

There is a reason that skeet shooters do not use an 18" barrel. It simply does not have the range and pattern integrity to score consistently. You would be better off to get a good platform with interchangeable barrels.

Comment

If you are shooting skeet at a club then some won't even let you in with a short barrel. The gun club I go to has a minimum 26" barrel rule and they are crazy about checking every gun

Comment

I'm with ozarkghost. Get a shotgun like an Rem. 870 where you can put interchangable barrels on it and not break the bank. A tapped 28in barrel you can change chokes out for skeet and use it for small game would be great, and then get an 18in rifled barrel or smooth bore. I'd suggest rifled so you can use sabot slugs for home defense and for deer, depending where you hunt.

Comment

I had a 20ga youth 870 express with either a 20" or 18" barrel and I could shot clays just fine with a modified

Comment

sure you can use it, just don't expect to clean many rounds.i've used .22 caliber bird shot from station 7 . the fun is breaking what you can

Comment

I have an 870 with the old smoothbore slug barrel. A 26 in barrel for my 870 with choke tubes is not all that expensive. IMO that 26 inch barrel with a skeet tube in is ideal for skeet.

Comment

The words home defense and shotgun bring me back to childhood momories of dad running out the front door in his underwear with a remington 1100. He being a vietnam veteran,got me to thinking. What the hell is wrong with defending you're home with a Remington 1100 with a 30 inch barrell. Its not "tactically" "perfect" but neither is white underwear in a gun battle. I am a retired police officer and carried an 870 with an 18 inch barrell for many many years. I cant tell a great deal of a difference in that and my wingmaster 870 with a 28 inch barrell. If you are not going to carry it in a crown victoria for ten years, why worrie about having an 18 inch barrell? I worked a shooting where a guy was shot from about 8 feet with # 7 1/2 shot. I can assure you the fight was over. In short use you're skeet gun for home defense.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                      by fitch270
                      Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                      09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                    • Grips and stocks
                      by dewman
                      so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                      09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                    • Youth pheasant hike
                      by fitch270
                      Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                      09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                    • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                      by fitch270
                      Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                      09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                    • Unusual Sound
                      by jhjimbo
                      At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                      09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X