Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m thinking of upgrading from a pump action to a semi-automatic shotgun. I would like to keep it under $700 (not sure how real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m thinking of upgrading from a pump action to a semi-automatic shotgun. I would like to keep it under $700 (not sure how real

I’m thinking of upgrading from a pump action to a semi-automatic shotgun. I would like to keep it under $700 (not sure how realistic that is) but would consider up to $1000 for a good, never fail gun. What does everyone shoot and how do you like it? I’ve also considered looking at some gun shops in my area to see if I can find a higher end used gun at a decent price. I’m a big fan of Remington but I’m sure there are other great models out there. Thanks for the input!

-What makes you say going from pump action to semi-auto is an "upgrade"? Personally, I would disagree with that statement.
    -If you are determined to buy a semi-auto take a look at the 11-87. If you shop around you could get a new one for $700.

Comment

JM has a point and as I said in my F&S post, go for the 11-87 combo.

Comment

If you ask me...the 11-87 is the way to go. i have the field edition in 12 gauge. it is extremely reliable and accurate. I have used it for years. It has taken rabbits, deer, and everything in between. You can get one at a Dick's Sporting Goods for 499.99 right now. Hope this helps!
        -Jack

Comment

What's wrong with your pump gun? If you are looking to have a "good, never fail gun", then a pump is definitely superior to an auto. The only - ONLY - practical advantage autos have for probably 90% of hunters is they usually have less recoil, but if that's a problem with your pump, a good butt pad will take care of it cheaply.
          It's up to you obviously, but if I were you, I'd save the money.

Comment

There are many terrific autoloading shotguns these days. The Brownings, Bennellis and Berettas as well as the Remington are good choices.

Comment

As a side note, I disagree with the comment about an autoloader vs a pump with respect to recoil. If you are shooting steel loads that have a velocity at the muzzle of 1550 fps or the 1700fps (ie Remington fantastic Hypersonic Load) you NEED the recoil absorbing advantage of the autoloader. My 870 Remington pump that I used faithfully for 50 years was shelved in spite of the new recoil pad. Like most guys out there I got tougher as I got older not the opposite and the pump with these loads beat the 'h...' out me! As further proof, the shotgun manufacturers are now routinely building recoil systems into the stocks of even their autoloaders. It was problem that needed to be addressed.
              PS If you are shooting geese in excess of 40 yards and you are using steel loads of lesser velocity than I described, you may as well be throwing rocks at the birds.
              In addition, shooting out of blinds that require you to be laying down make the auto especially practical. As you sit up your mobility, no matter how old you may be, is hampered. It is difficult to swing the shotgun smoothly from this position let alone pump the action. If you are going to short stroke the pump and jam the gun, this will be the occasion to do so.

Comment

Kody, if you are referring to my comment about the differences in recoil, then I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. I said that one advantage a semi-auto has is that it has less recoil, but that a good aftermarket butt pad will usually take care of the problem. I guess it might not be enough in some cases though.

Comment

Yes, Huntfishtrap guy my answer is specific to the kind of loads used to hunt migratory birds at ranges in access of 40 yards. Most of us can shoot the standard 2 3/4 inch loads all day long in a T-shirt with a decent recoil pad on a pump. Heavy loads are not needed for hunting upland birds and may be all that is necessary when hunting migratory over decoys. I hunt with the load that will get the job done on the long range birds regardless of being over gunned on the birds that get closer. I couldn't do so with my trusty pump and enjoy the hunt, nor could my hunting partners. Perhaps, it was just a good excuse for buying an autoloader!!
                  Kody

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                    by dewman
                    Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                    Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                  • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                    by dewman
                    Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                    Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                  • What is taking so long ?
                    by jhjimbo
                    Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                    09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                  • Burn cream
                    by CD2
                    Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                    No longer does.
                    Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                    Bargain.

Got...
                    09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                  • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                    by dewman
                    So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                    09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X