Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am 14 and looking for a good left handed shotgun. I don't want a lot of kick and want it to be affordable in price. Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 14 and looking for a good left handed shotgun. I don't want a lot of kick and want it to be affordable in price. Any Ideas?

I am 14 and looking for a good left handed shotgun. I don't want a lot of kick and want it to be affordable in price. Any Ideas?

-Since you do not want as much kick I would go with a 20 gauge shotgun instead of a 12 gauge.
    -A shotgun will last your entire life if you take care of it, so take your time finding one that is right for you.
    -I am left handed as well, but I have always shot a right handed pump(Remington 870). I can't guarentee that you will, but I have learned to use it as quickly as most right handed shooters.
    -I really do not see many left handed shotguns, so it might be best for you to buy a semi-auto shotgun. Only problem with this is that they are generally a bit more expensive(Cheapest you will find one new is probably around $600).

Comment

I would go with a shotgun that you can use for the rest of your life passed being a youngster, so I would look at a 16 gauge. Alot of adults I know feel the 16ga. is one of the most versatile gauge shotguns. I'm a left handed shooter as well but every gun I use is right handed (except assault rifles; the shells eject in my face) you'll learn to adapt to just switching your ways of safety's or bolts or loading but still holding the firearm left handed.

Comment

Find you a nice used Ithaca. Loads from the bottom and ejects the same. You can find 20 ga Ithacas $250.00 and up.I also am left handed and have 5 Model 37 and Model 87. Easy to clean and maintain. Check out a couple and post your thoughts. Also get Model 37 with serial numbers higher than 855000 and the barrels are interchangable, from slug barrels to 30 inch full and everything in between.

Comment

I would say that unless having a left-handed gun is super-important to you, I would go with a right-handed model, for two reasons. 1) It's going to be much easier to find a light-kicking, affordable right-handed gun than a left-handed one, as they are obviously much more common. And, 2), if you do for some reason decide to sell the gun at some point down the road, it'll probably be much easier to sell a right-handed model.
          As far as a specific gun is concerned, the other guys have solid suggestions, the Ithaca in particular has a stellar reputation. I agree with officerdom that the 16 gauge is hard to beat for an all-around gun, but I personally would recommend a 20 gauge, because the shells are much cheaper and easier to find.

Comment

I shoot a Remingotn, I'm also 14 and left-handed I love it and doesn't kick much with normal field loads.

Hunter Girl 1

Comment

I am 14 an left handed but i shoot with a right haded shotgun and it doesn't bother me for kick and I just have a steel butt plate!

Comment

Once again I see a young hunter/shooter intimidated by recoil.KICK is a poor choice of words describing shell ignition. Naturally no one wants to be kicked and it makes it sound like we all suffer every time we shoot.My son never heard the word kick or recoil,he was shooting at an early age and I'VE never heard him mention it,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget