Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How effective are shotgun sights on quail? I don`t mean the sights that come on the gun, I mean the two piece sights that are ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How effective are shotgun sights on quail? I don`t mean the sights that come on the gun, I mean the two piece sights that are ne

How effective are shotgun sights on quail? I don`t mean the sights that come on the gun, I mean the two piece sights that are neon. Look at Dick`s website if you don`t know what I mean.

All guns take practice no matter what sights you are using. Do not expect to go out and hit every bird you see without practice. In other words they will work fine, it will just will take a few shots to get used to.

Comment

Go to a Trap and Skeet Field mainly Trap Shooting will help you in shooting Quail,Ps most Quail Hunters Use 20Ga,28Ga,410Ga...Field Loads #8-#9 Shot.
      Practice..Practice..Practice...Best of Luck

Comment

Bad idea, shotgun shooting is supposed to be instintive, trying to line up sights on a moving target will only make you miss. If the sight is too big, as with many of the fiber optic sights, it will cover up your target. The focus of you eye should be on the target instead of the sight.

Comment

I don't think I would like two-piece sights for something like quail, or really anything that will require quick shooting. I think those sight setups are intended mostly for turkeys and deer, and not wingshooting.

Comment

Worry about giving full focus to the target, not the beads. When you hit a baseball, do you look at the ball or the bat????

Comment

If you have a red dot and practice with it you'd be better off than those sights for wing shooting, but honestly you are better off and will save money if you just don't use sights and practice wing shooting. Look at the bird and line up the shot, don't over think it and you'll shoot some quail.

Comment

I definitely prefer the old bead for wingshooting hold the gun level and you'll whack em every time, sometimes those sights are easily knocked off, depending on the brand

Comment

If you are referring to the type of sights to be found on shotgun barrels designed for deer hunting, as in open rear iron sight and a bead at the muzzle, it is the wrong one to be using for wing shooting. Several forum members had very astute comments, 'shotgunning is instinctive' , ' do you watch the ball or the bat?'...If you are 'aiming' at a flying bird you will likely miss. Aiming is an interruption the disrupts the movement of the shotgun and ignores what your eye and your hand know to be on the mark. Shotguns need to fit, meaning when it swings to your shoulder you are looking down the line of sight on the barrel... no head or cheek adjustment should be necessary. If the gun points well by way of fitting the shooter then it becomes a matter of swinging the gun with the flying target and pulling the trigger the moment it 'looks' right. Your hand and eye know what is right and the trick is not to let your brain get in the way of doing it right.... there is not time for over analyzing or careful 'sighting' . This is the beauty of wing shooting, it is an intuitive action which is the reason some describe shotgunning as an art.

Comment

Ps I appear to have vast knowledge on this subject but I somehow manage to miss many shots..I have not and may never perfect the art!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                      by jhjimbo
                      Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                      09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                    • Spur of the moment rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                      09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                    • The $20 Shooting Shack
                      by fitch270
                      So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                      09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                    • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                      by dewman
                      one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                    • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                      by dewman
                      So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                      09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X