Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone else on here who thinks that OL's annual shotgun test is getting to be kind of a farce? In the last three years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone else on here who thinks that OL's annual shotgun test is getting to be kind of a farce? In the last three years

Is there anyone else on here who thinks that OL's annual shotgun test is getting to be kind of a farce? In the last three years I believe they've reviewed a total of three shotguns with MSRP's of under $1,000, and most of them were far higher than a measly grand. Seriously, how many OL readers can afford guns like that?

Most of the $1000+ shotguns are overpriced to begin with. My shotgun was my dads Remington 870. He bought it for under $150 25 years ago and it's still functioning perfectly.

Comment

The problem is that there are a lot of lower priced shotguns out there, and even less that is worth to talk or write about.

On the budget side, yet totally dependable and very durable, there are the Remington 870 Express and the Mossberg 500.

Then there are several imported (non-European) auto's, over-under and side-by-side well under $1,000, but in my experience their handling qualities are somewhat poor and I am not sure about their durability.

Apart from that, inflation has not been easy on shotguns. The only way to get quality at lower prices is to buy used.

Please, read my blog. Just google "A Wild Beast at Heart".

Comment

Those expensive shotguns would put a severe strain on my disposable income, but I do like to fantasize about owning a couple of Purdleys.

Comment

My old BPS has never been accused of being pretty, but it often times hits what I swing it across and has never once failed to shoot. Every year though, I seem to run into someone who scoffs at it because it’s not sexy. But then, my "brush pants" are Levi’s, my "hunting jacket" is a sweatshirt and my "hydration system" is a Mountain Dew bottle full of water.

Comment

I do a lot of sitting around at the local gun shop that has 870's, 500's, and charles daley's stacked up. I for one like to hear about guns that I may never own. I hate to think that I subscribe to a magazine that tells me about guns that the guy at my local wal-mart can tell me about. Just my opinoin.

Comment

Most are expensive but I do like to look them over and find out what makes them "hot".

Comment

i wouldn't drive my old pick-up if I COULD AFFORD A NEW ONE,same as the new model shotguns,

Comment

Nice to read ideas for dreams and goals. So the price bracket doesn't bother me.
                  It would be nice to have full disclosure if any of the gun makers pay for a good review or agree to advertise heavily.
                  later,
                  charlie

Comment

Remember when only a few high priced cars had antilock brakes and air bags? Now the cars I can afford have them. It's the same deal with guns.

Comment

Which grabs your attention first, A hot composite of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders or a composite of the local Brownie Scouts?
                      Assuming you are not a pedophile and a rational male, a writeup about something really nice is going to get my attention quicker than some dull, mundane review of an 870 Express or a Mossberg 500.
                      I mean, what else is there left to be said about these two shotguns?????

Comment

You are so right! Here's a few of the past reviews for reference

Comment

Here's a few more OL shotgun reviews...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                            by fitch270
                            Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                            Today, 08:27 PM
                          • Unusual Sound
                            by jhjimbo
                            At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                            Today, 02:17 PM
                          • bedding on new rifle
                            by Amflyer
                            Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                            Today, 12:22 AM
                          • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                            by fitch270
                            Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                            Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                          • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                            by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                            09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X