Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I was cleaning my shotguns it occured to m,e should I remove the screw-in chokes first or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I was cleaning my shotguns it occured to m,e should I remove the screw-in chokes first or not?

When I was cleaning my shotguns it occured to m,e should I remove the screw-in chokes first or not?

I personally have never removed my screw in chokes when I have cleaned my shotguns. But I do not believe it would hurt anything to do that. Just depends how anal you are about cleaning your gun. Sometimes I will clean every spot on my gun and other times I will only clean the barrel.

Comment

I've never been told that they should be taken out, so I've never done it. I don't think it would hurt anything either, the rods and attachments are smaller than the barrel and chokes so it's not rubbing against the edges of the choke tightly and not wearing it down as far as I can tell.

Comment

The answer is yes, but with caution. It is very important to remove the chokes and clean the threads on both male (actual choke) and female (end of barrel) parts of the assembly. First clean your barrel leaving your choke in place and coat with a very light film of oil. Many people will also run a clean patch through after the patch with the oil to remove any excess. Now with the barrel clean, remove the choke and CAREFULLY clean the threads and again apply a light coat of oil. Be careful not to over tighten, in fact it the gun is to be stored for a long period of time you may not even want to seat it all the way, leaving about a quarter turn. (remember to fully seat it before the next shooting session) Chokes have a habit of seizing up when stored without the benefit of a good cleaning, sometimes even with cleaning if it is tightened to aggressively. Moisture can and will enter the threads and can cause rust making it very difficult to remove and sometimes impossible without doing great harm to the choke, barrel or both. Be very careful while handling the choke as they really quite fragile and can be easily damaged or rendered less than perfectly round. There are also commercial products available to lubricate and protect the threads but be careful not to apply too much. Remember with oil, a little goes a long way, too much can cause gumming and cause cracking of the wood if applied too heavily.

Comment

When cleaning your gun don't take the choke out first. Clean the barrel then remove the choke and clean it, then put it back in. You don't want to take the choke out and then clean the barrel. If you do that you will push all of the unburnt powder into the threads, that could cause the choke to cross thread.

Comment

Haresear is right on the money. Obviously you don't want to remove the chokes first, because you could potentially damage the threads. But you absolutely want to remove the chokes and clean the threads. You will be amazed how much dirt works its way into the threads. And as haresear mentioned, uncleaned threads can have the nasty habit of seizing up and making it almost impossible to remove them at a later date without doing damage. Bottom line, don"t remove them first, clean the barrel, then remove them after.

Comment

That's good to know my current shotgun has a fixed choke built in so when i get a new one i'll be sure to remember that

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                by fitch270
                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              • Covid-19
                by jhjimbo
                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
              • Spur of the moment rifle
                by Amflyer
                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                by fitch270
                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                by dewman
                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X