Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought 3" rem. hi velocity magnums for my rem. 870 express 12 gauge pump. When I looked at the barrel of my gun it read "

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought 3" rem. hi velocity magnums for my rem. 870 express 12 gauge pump. When I looked at the barrel of my gun it read "

I just bought 3" rem. hi velocity magnums for my rem. 870 express 12 gauge pump. When I looked at the barrel of my gun it read "use 2 3/4" or 3" shells in magnum receiver, use only 2 3/4" in all others." What does this mean? Can I shoot my 3" magnums in this barrel or should I just shoot 2 3/4"?

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Kody View Post
    I have an assortment of Rem 870 barrels in different chokes for guns of my own and those past down to me from different relations. I believe it is possible to install the old Remington 3 inch mag barrel onto the 'receiver' of a 2 3/4 inch 870 Remington shotgun. NOT A GOOD IDEA! Exercise some caution here as you may be messing with real danger. Perhaps I am mistaken in this matter, but the old adage about stupid questions as opposed to stupid mistakes would apply here. If your receiver is open to debate compare it to a 870 clearly labeled on its RECEIVER to be a 3 inch magnum to make sure you are on the same page. Still uncertain check with a gun smith.
    Great answer!

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    If that is the original barrel that came with the new 870, then you can use 3-inch shells. The warning is there because the 870 barrels are interchangeable and can be placed on older models not tested for those pressures. When in doubt, contact Remington with the Serial number off your receiver and ask them.

From the Remington web site:

I bought a used gun and I want to make certain that it is safe to use. What should I do?

Whenever you acquire a used firearm you should have the firearm checked out by a Remington Authorized Repair Center or qualified gunsmith BEFORE YOU USE IT. Additionally you could send it back to us at the factory and we would be glad to look at it for you:

Remington Arms Co., Inc.
    Attn: Arms Service Division - TPA
    14 Hoefler Avenue
    Ilion, NY 13357

Please fill out the repair form from the Repair Services page and include it with the firearms when you send it back to us.

NOTE: Remind other gun owners that they should have their guns checked out periodically by a qualified gunsmith.

NOTE: An obsolete gun may not be repairable.

Leave a comment:

• Dcast
    replied
    No you should not shoot magnums out of an express that the receiver isn't marked for magnum loads. The barrel can handle magnum loads but the receiver cannot.

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    I have an assortment of Rem 870 barrels in different chokes for guns of my own and those past down to me from different relations. I believe it is possible to install the old Remington 3 inch mag barrel onto the 'receiver' of a 2 3/4 inch 870 Remington shotgun. NOT A GOOD IDEA! Exercise some caution here as you may be messing with real danger. Perhaps I am mistaken in this matter, but the old adage about stupid questions as opposed to stupid mistakes would apply here. If your receiver is open to debate compare it to a 870 clearly labeled on its RECEIVER to be a 3 inch magnum to make sure you are on the same page. Still uncertain check with a gun smith.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I haven't looked at any new 870's but in the past it said Magnum on the receiver. Your barrel is okay for 3" Magnums.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget