Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to buy a new gun. I have 3 and 3 are broken and will be more expensive to fix than they are worth. So I really do need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to buy a new gun. I have 3 and 3 are broken and will be more expensive to fix than they are worth. So I really do need

I need to buy a new gun. I have 3 and 3 are broken and will be more expensive to fix than they are worth. So I really do need a new gun. I'm not a gun collector and don't care to get anything a fancy. I love hunting and a gun is a tool to hunt. I'd like to spend in the $300-$400 range. My first thought is a remington expresss. I've seen recently a stoeger uplander. I like the side by side. Its what my grandfather and step father hunted with. It also has the advantage that my son is left handed and one day he'll me able to hunt with it. I don't want to get another cheap shot gun and end up with a broken shot gun that is not worth fixing. I don't know anything about stoeger. Is this a gun that will last?

Last thing I would do is buy a Stoeger, heard to many horror stories you would be better off with the Remington. That or fix the ones you have depending on whats wrong with them.

Comment

If you want a SxS or O/U the remington spartan is what i've been using and have been happy with it an have put well over a couple hundred shells through it this past year alone. But a mossberg or an 870 would serve you well

Comment

I have a Mossberg 500, that I have had for many, many years, way before kids and my oldest is 24. I have never had any problems with it and I still love it. A new one at Wal-Mart will cost you less than $250. That is with the interchangeable chokes, 12 0r 20 gauge. You can also buy a rifled slug barrel and a muzzleloader barrel (for the 12 ga)for not a lot of extra $$$
        It is a good gun, reliable and faithful. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Good luck!!!

Comment

i purchased a new stoeger condor o/u few years back,and on its 3rd shot the stock splintered.I sent it back to stoeger for a restocking and they did the poorest posisible work on it.Their product is crap,their customer service is crap.Look else where for your new shotgun.

Comment

humm, not one good comment, doesn't bod well. I will look up that spartan. Thanks.

Comment

Doesn't look like spartan's are made any more, and I'd like to get a new gun. Which is better, a remington express or a benelli nova?

Comment

Jeremy, Remington and Benelli are both good in my opinion. I would also consider the advice Bo gave, I also have a mossberg 500 and have been very happy with it, and you cant beat the price.

Comment

Go to your local Pawn Shops thay have loads of guns
                  its called "lets make a deal" they have every brand
                  type and guage you could whant, at this point in
                  time its the best buy out there.$$$$$$$$

Comment

My cousin has a mossberg pump that he likes. So when I had the money for a new gun I bought a used semi auto mossoberg. It was used, but showed no signs of wear. It looked brand new. I've had nothing but trouble from gun since I got it. Most of the people I've talked to, including gun smiths to try and fix it, have said that this just wasn't one of mossbergs better guns. I know my cousin's pump is a good gun, but I don't think I want to get another mossberg or another used gun. If I knew the person I was buying the gun from that one thing, but it may be in the pawn shop because its a junk.

Comment

I don't own a Mossberg but it's price and versatility with various barrels make it the right choice for you. The Remington looks better but that is a matter of taste. I do not know if the safety can be switched to the opposite side on a Mossberg to accommodate a left hand shooter, check on that Jeremy. Make sure you buy a model with screw in chokes as they are necessary if you are switching between steel and lead shot. Steel shot and full choke guns are not compatible, so having a screw in modified or improved cylinder choke is a must.

Comment

The gun that I use is a pump. The only semi autos that I own currently are handguns or rifles. I have 3 shotguns, a double barrel 12 ga, a bolt action .410 and a pump 20 gauge. I can work the action on that pump as fast as most people can shoot an auto, or at least I could 15-20 years ago; I did it frequently.
                        I cannot speak for the semi auto Mossbergs, only for the pump. No one that I know who owns one has been disappointed with their gun.
                        I have run into a lot of people who would look down on my gun when we would first get out into the field. When they realized that my gun would perform for me as well as their more expensive gun did for them, the comments would stop. Don't think that because it is a pump that it is not as good. You may be making a significant error.
                        For Kody, the safety is reachable from either side it is in the middle of the frame on top just a couple of inches away from the stock. I don't think there is a problem as far as handedness...

Comment

The spartan's are actually imported from russia under the remington name. The one I got was used but it had hardly been fired. There are quite a few of them out there if you have the time to look around, but you'll have a heck of a time trying to find chokes for it unless you order from someone like carlson's.

Comment

Kody - Bo is right about the safety location on the Mossberg 500. That type of safety is called a "tang safety". It is right or left hand operative.
                            Many moons ago a good friend of mine and hunting partner had our shotguns out in the field. He had a Browning semi-auto and I had my Mossberg 500. We decided to see which was faster - the semi or pump action. We threw something into the air and when it hit the ground that was the signal to start shooting. Five rounds later and we both finished at the same time. When a pump shotgun recoils the reward motion of the recoil helps to cycle the pump, with a little practice a pump shotgun can be cycled quickly.
                            I would go with the Mossberg 500. Not too much can go wrong with a pump shotgun, because there isn't that many moving parts in it like a semi-auto. Stay away from the Mossberg muzzleloader barrel for thier Mossberg 500. I have one and it caused my bolt face to rust plus they are hard to clean, because the breech is closed - doesn't screw out like some muzzleloaders. Mossberg did offer to send me a new bolt if I sent them mine that rusted. I don't know why it rusted, because I take care of my firearms. Perhaps it was the Triple7 I used?

Comment

If you want an all-around shotgun and like pumps, you can always get a Remington 870 (old or new...today's Express is good). If you clean it after every use, never be afraid of getting icy/wet/dirty when hunting. It will take care of you as long as you take care of it. When you get 80 years old, you will hand it down to one of your grandkids. My 20 guage was made in 1950 and my daughter and I still use it all the time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X