Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get a slug shotgun for deer. Probably a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. I don't want to lay out the bucks for sabot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get a slug shotgun for deer. Probably a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. I don't want to lay out the bucks for sabot

I want to get a slug shotgun for deer. Probably a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. I don't want to lay out the bucks for sabot slugs (but may change my mind in the future). Can foster type slugs be used in a rifled barrel without any problems? Will accuracy be equivalent to a smooth slug barrel? Or, should I stick to a smooth slug barrel?

Go with the rifled barrel. Sabot slugs are more expensive, but the cost difference is minimal in the long run and the greater accuracy is worth a few less burritos at taco bell or whatever else you'll waste your extra cash on--(your girlfriend might not agree but you have to work that out for yourself). The 870 or the Mossberg are both good--I'm partial to the Remington, but if money is an issue for you, both are excellent shotguns. Get the one you can find a deal on. Happy hunting and be safe.

Comment

I'm going to chime in and agree with Seadog about the ammo. But for shotguns, I have a little Mossberg that I love, you will do well with either one. Wal-Mart sells the 500 in 12 gauge for less than $250, when I checked on it for a friend about 2 months ago.

Comment

you can shoot sabot slugs in a smooth bore or a foster slug in a rifled barrel,the sabot in a rifled ba rrel will genera lly out perform the smooth barrel with foster slugs.some smooth barrels are very accurate,you just have to be lucky to find one as the same model gun may not be as accurate as the next one.

Comment

6phunter,
          So it is ok to shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel and sabot slugs in a smooth bore barrel? I had been told that you couldn't. When you guys say foster slug is that same as rifled slug?

Comment

MWK_MN,
            Yes to both your questions.
            good hunting.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

DITTO!!Charlie elk.

I have two Ithaca M 37s one in 12ga and 20ga with slug barrles, I shoot forster and sabot slugs with
              very good groopes at 100yd.

good hunting, T~Stand

Comment

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I had heard you could and you couldn't so I was a little confused, but I'll take charlie elk's advice over anyone!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X