Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am slowly starting to become obsessed with turkeys and now Ive decided to buy my own shotgun because Im tired of using my frie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am slowly starting to become obsessed with turkeys and now Ive decided to buy my own shotgun because Im tired of using my frie

I am slowly starting to become obsessed with turkeys and now Ive decided to buy my own shotgun because Im tired of using my friends or dads. I am leaning toward the benelli supernova but want to know about the pistol grip option. Is it better or just a waste of money? I have to settle for pump because I live in PA so I dont know if its best suited for a pump or not. Id like to hear from both sides. thanks

I'm not sure about the pistol grip, having never used one, but I did get a thumbhole stock for my Mossberg 835 and immediately got rid of it when I realized that it would be really difficult to shoot from my off shoulder when the turkey came up on the wrong side. Turkeys have a certain instinct for appearing on your off side and you need to be able to switch shoulders. I also heard that the thumbhole stock will hurt your hand when shooting those magnum turkey loads, and I don't know if this carries over to pistol grips, too. For now I'm going to treat the pistol grip stock as a gimmick and stick with the traditional stock, but I'm always willing to be educated.

Comment

Do not add the pistol grip to your shotgun. It has its places... but one of its places is NOT on a turkey gun.
      If you were looking at clearing houses and conducting close-quarters-battle, then we could talk about the validity of the pistol grip, but not on a traditional gobbler gun.
      Good choice with the Supernova by the way. I have one in pump and I love it. They are dependable and shoot easily.

Comment

Check your PA Hunting Digest. You are not limited to a pump shotgun in PA, semi-auto is fine unless you decide to hunt deer or bear with it, then it would be illegal. So hunt turkey or any other game except large game with a semi-auto shotgun. Remember, no larger than #4 shot for turkey.

Comment

I have a thumbhole stock and I regret getting it for exactly the reason pinywoods mentioned--it's really hard and uncomfortable to shoot off-hand. But it does feel awesome and the stock fits my hand like a glove--I like it but I wouldn't choose it again if I were buying a turkey gun today. The ambidexterous pistol grip won't give you that problem, but it doesn't give you any advantage either. So unless that pistol grip feels really good to your hand, you should go with a standard stock. That's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Comment

I have very limited experience with shotguns but own a Remington SP with a 21in barrel. The turkeys seemed to have no problem falling promptly upon report.

I hear the 835 is a fine gun for the price.

Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

Ishi---Some people give the Mossberg a hard time, but I've had good success with my 835. I use it exclusively for turkey hunting with a TruGlo choke tube and Federal Heavyweights.

Comment

jhuff2010----If you are really getting serious about turkey hunting, I'd strongly recommend that you get a copy of Tom Kelly's "A Fork In The Road". It is an excellent introduction to the sport and gives some great tips on equipment and techniques. It comes with a DVD and is as entertaining as it is informative. (I don't work for Tom Kelly, but I'm a great admirer of his experience and his willingness to share it.)

Comment

If you can get a chance to shoot someone elses gun with a pistol grip or thumbhole stock give it a try. It's mostly a preference thing. I prefer a standard stock and the turkeys don't seem to know the difference. It also makes the gun more versitile for other hunting. The Nova is a good choice as is an 870 or a Mossberg as far as pumps go.

Comment

remmington 30 inch trap barrel with a ventilated rib/ you can always get youre money back as a investment and it's depe ndable .870 wingmaster

Comment

First of all, in Pa., we do have the choice of pump or semi-automatic for shotgunning. I prefer the pump because they are, normally, lighter to carry. I have used a Remington 870, a Winchester 1300, and am currently using a Mossberg 835. I have killed turks with both the Remington and the Winchester. Having bought the 835 recently, I am sure that I will be successful with it as well. The 835 comes with a muzzle-break and give less recoil on 3 1/2" shells. Time will tell, but my money is on the 835.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X