Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iv been trying to pattern my new 870 Shureshot turkey gun and im havin an absolute terrible time. My pattern is always to the ri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iv been trying to pattern my new 870 Shureshot turkey gun and im havin an absolute terrible time. My pattern is always to the ri

Iv been trying to pattern my new 870 Shureshot turkey gun and im havin an absolute terrible time. My pattern is always to the right and up. I know this is from flinching from recoil but how do i fix it?? I was shootin 3in Federal turkey loads but since i was havin so much trouble my local gun shop switched me to 2/3/4 Remington 6\*4s but it didnt help much if at all. Can somebody PLEASE give me some tips on how to stop that jumpin. Turkey season opens the 26th here and im gettin very anxious. THANKS

Flinching? If it is a consistent flinch, then start shooting a .22 or a pellet gun. Re-train yourself on how to pull a trigger.
    Then, when you have re-instilled good shooting techniques, test yourself. Fire one round at a time. Have a buddy load your gun for you. Have him alternate live rounds with fired shells. This will let you know if you are still flinching as the flinch will be easily noticed when you pull the trigger with an expended round in the chamber (any movement at all is noticed as a flinch, not recoil).
    If this does not fix it then you have a patterning problem.

Comment

as the Captain said. Or aim low and left. Problem solved!!

Comment

Take the Captain's advice. The random live & expended rounds will quickly identify your flinch and help you eliminate it. Make sure you don't peek--it only works if you don't know which round is live. After that, you can load expended shells to simulate a dry fire exercise.

Comment

It could be the gun. Sometimes a shotgun will throw it's pattern off where you're pointing it. Has another person shot it to verify this?

Comment

Consider going to a less hefty gun, say a 16 or a 20 gauge, of the the same model. You can be sure you have the basics down without the flinch and then work your way up to the 12.

Comment

Send it back to Remington, my 11-87 Turkey Gun was shooting high and left and they corrected it. Now it's one tack driver!

One thing about Remington, I don't get any hassle out of them and they treat you right regardless of knowledge and expertise!

Comment

Ont.hunter... I have found with most flinching it is just a matter of getting your mind right. I hope you get it straightened out. We are all pulling for you to shoot straight and bag a bird!

Comment

One thing that that has made my sight in easier is to use low power shells and sight in at 21ft. Make a fifty cent size black spot and adjust your sights until you can blow it out this works well for me. I can then hold dead on with my 3 inch mags out to max yardage give it a try Good Luck and Big Gobblers

Comment

get a good back stop close youre eyes and shoot the gun ,forget about the target and shoot/a shotgun hasn't much recoil it's all in youre head.

Comment

Once again read the Science of the Turkey Gun at www.foremosthunting.com

Comment

If your flinching because you are afraid of the recoil on the gun get a larger recoil pad from remington and have your local gun shop put it on your gun for you it will make you less worried about the recoil and stop flinching.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X