Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am 13 and looking for a good shotgun.I don't want alot of kick but can handle it. I need it be left handed and good for turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 13 and looking for a good shotgun.I don't want alot of kick but can handle it. I need it be left handed and good for turkey

I am 13 and looking for a good shotgun.I don't want alot of kick but can handle it. I need it be left handed and good for turkey and deer hunting. Any suggestions?

I am partial to Mossbergs as just about everyone here knows. If you can handle the kick, the model 500 in 12 gauge can be used for just about every kind of hunting you can think of. They have a muzzleloading barrel you can buy and a rifled slug barrel that is good for deer. The basic gun can be bought at Walmart for less that $250 the last time I looked. Buy the other two barrels after market and you got yourself three guns for under $600. It does have a right side eject. If you are a southpaw that may be a problem for you. I am not and don't shoot a shotgun left handed so I am not going to say you can or you can't.

Comment

get a remington 870 express 12 gage sluge combo.

Comment

Bo's advice is good. I'm partial to Remington, but the 500 & the 870 are both good. If you can handle a 12 gauge, get one--it'll last a lifetime. If you get someting smaller, you'll be looking for a bigger gun by your 16th birthday. I don't know much about lefty shotguns except that they seem to be hard to find and more expensive. You should be OK shooting a pump action lefty. I've shot mine off-hand a few times & I didn't have a problem even though I don't practice it much.

Comment

Little brother, with a shotgun the only thing I can see that would cause problems in being left-handed is the safety, but that would mainly be with hitting the mechanism quickly for wingshooting.
          For turkey and deer, I see no issue with shooting a shotgun that feeds and ejects from the right... especially if you are not looking to spend a bunch of loot on the gun.
          My personal choice is the Benelli Supernova. It has a great recoil suppression system (making heavy loads a lot more manageable), is durable, and is on the lower end of shotguns as far as the cost.

Comment

Stick with the 870. For deer and turkey, feel free to go with a 20 gauge (less kick). I still use my old 870 20 gauge that I got when I was eleven for deer. It would also be more than adequate for turkeys, they just have to be inside 35 yards. In the last 20 years, the 20 gauge has dropped every deer I have hit. Most importantly, shoot a lot of guns and go with one that fits you.

Comment

I will second Bo. Get the Mossberg 500 with Ambidextrous safety.

Comment

the REMINGTON 1100 IS A SEMI AUTO, HENCE THE RECOIL IS EASIER TO HANDLE , IN A 20 GUAGE THEY SHOOT SLUGS VERY WELL,THERE IS HARDLY ANYCOST IN CHANGING TO A LEFT HANDED SAFETY.FURTHER MORE THESE GUNS CAN BE TRADED OR RESOLD AND STILL RETAIN THIER VALUE .i've never seen a MOSSBERG 500 AT ANY SANCTIONED SKEET TOURNAMENT.

Comment

I used an 870 most of my life. However, when selecting the most economical shotgun the Mossberg wins. They are inexpensive to buy and especially cheap to outfit with other barrels. I believe Mossberg make barrels for the Remington 870 cheaper than Remington provides for their own gun. Beware however, dollars saved in buying a shotgun that doesn't feel right are dollars wasted. Be particular when selecting the shotgun. They all seem right when you are anxious to acquire one and impressed with the shiny new toy. Take your time and swing the gun up to your shoulder many times. Do not make the purchase unless you try the Remington or whatever to have a basis for comparison. Savour the moment kid, I enjoy the anticipation of acquiring a new firearm and all the considerations that precede the purchase as much today as I did years ago. I am believer in keeping the kid alive regardless of your age. This is one thing that never fails to get me excited. I wish you the same for many years to come.

Comment

ive shot he 870 combo for years and done alot or skeet shooting as well. Being south paw shooting a right handed pump the shells ejecting never gave me any problems as far as getting in the line of sight or hitting me in the face

Comment

i have a mosssberg and i got a good turkey today it had a 9 1/2 inch beard

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                        by dewman
                        Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                        Today, 08:40 AM
                      • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                        by dewman
                        Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                        Today, 07:59 AM
                      • What is taking so long ?
                        by jhjimbo
                        Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                        Yesterday, 07:52 PM
                      • Burn cream
                        by CD2
                        Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                        No longer does.
                        Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                        Bargain.

Got...
                        Yesterday, 05:39 PM
                      • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                        by dewman
                        So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                        09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X