Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is up with all these black guns out there? I understand that they are pracitcal, ( rain,due,etc.) and I guess they are ok t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is up with all these black guns out there? I understand that they are pracitcal, ( rain,due,etc.) and I guess they are ok t

What is up with all these black guns out there? I understand that they are pracitcal, ( rain,due,etc.) and I guess they are ok to look at, but doesn't anyone out their remember WOOD! Give me a beautiful, checkered walnut stock anyday. Like my model 7 Remington.

lots of people still use wood stocks. but they are heavier whether worse and scratch easier. i love wood stokcs to but synthetic perform better. lots of gun companies still make wood stocks. usually they are higher priced as well

Comment

I own several of both. I agree--wood stocks are beautiful. Synthetics are more practical. I want more of both. The next wood stock I get will probably be because of the beautiful stock.

Comment

I want a rifle to look good AND shoot straight. I have never understood why you would not ' want your cake and eat it too'. A character piece of walnut that looks good on the wall, feels good in your hand and shoots well in the field is worth a dozen of those ugly black things to me. While you encounter a few more variables with the wood stock as opposed to the synthetic I don't care. I like the feel of a wood stock, so I am willing to address the temperamental issues and try to get it shooting well. The nicks that may occur give it character. They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...well, when I behold a synthetic stock a say "butt ugly" whether it shoots straight or not!!

Comment

I too, am a wood stock aficionado. I like the feel, the look, I like it all. But I have been told, I am an old fart and old habits die hard. I may get a synthetic some day, probably not, but I try to never say never. Wood has a character that no synthetic can ever achieve.

Comment

Woodstocks are great and definitely my preference. But synthetic stocks can be mass produced faster, and make it much easier for a firearms owner to swap out stocks or to even customize their firearms in some cases. It's also lighter which is a plus. I own a wood stock and a synthetic stocked firearm and i like both.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor Pommier View Post
              lots of people still use wood stocks. but they are heavier whether worse and scratch easier. i love wood stokcs to but synthetic perform better. lots of gun companies still make wood stocks. usually they are higher priced as well
              But synthetic make more noise when scraped against undergrowth

Comment

Originally posted by seadog View Post
                I own several of both. I agree--wood stocks are beautiful. Synthetics are more practical. I want more of both. The next wood stock I get will probably be because of the beautiful stock.
                Try a laminated wood stock

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                  I want a rifle to look good AND shoot straight. I have never understood why you would not ' want your cake and eat it too'. A character piece of walnut that looks good on the wall, feels good in your hand and shoots well in the field is worth a dozen of those ugly black things to me. While you encounter a few more variables with the wood stock as opposed to the synthetic I don't care. I like the feel of a wood stock, so I am willing to address the temperamental issues and try to get it shooting well. The nicks that may occur give it character. They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...well, when I behold a synthetic stock a say "butt ugly" whether it shoots straight or not!!
                  I have both, but prefer wood

Comment

Originally posted by Bo View Post
                    I too, am a wood stock aficionado. I like the feel, the look, I like it all. But I have been told, I am an old fart and old habits die hard. I may get a synthetic some day, probably not, but I try to never say never. Wood has a character that no synthetic can ever achieve.
                    I went from wood to synthetic and back to wood

Comment

Originally posted by Derik Lee View Post
                      Woodstocks are great and definitely my preference. But synthetic stocks can be mass produced faster, and make it much easier for a firearms owner to swap out stocks or to even customize their firearms in some cases. It's also lighter which is a plus. I own a wood stock and a synthetic stocked firearm and i like both.
                      All good points

Comment

Treestand, I like the stability AND looks of laminated stocks. Here's my Remington 788 with a Boyd's replacement stock.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          Treestand, I like the stability AND looks of laminated stocks. Here's my Remington 788 with a Boyd's replacement stock.
                          Just wish now that I'd paid for checkering

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                            by Ernie
                            Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                          • Outdoor Life archives
                            by Scott123
                            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                            10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                          • Blade Stain
                            by jhjimbo
                            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                            10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                          • Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X