Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the big deal with all the other calibers out there, The 30-06 will take any thing you can hunt in North America. I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the big deal with all the other calibers out there, The 30-06 will take any thing you can hunt in North America. I have

What is the big deal with all the other calibers out there, The 30-06 will take any thing you can hunt in North America. I have own a Sedgely Springfield Sporter since 1960 and have taken everything I have ever hunted. It comes in 8 different bullet weight. I would not part with my Sedgely for anything.

Nice to hear the old rifle is aging well along with you. Thank yo for responding. My first hunting rifle was a British .303 Jungle Carbine with its flip up graduated peep sight that had the battle full ring in the down position. Sold it to help pay for a .300 Win Mag my father and I bought from a pawn shop on 4th ave Anchorage, Alaska. I still have that rifle but wish I had cut a more firewood for cash rather than selling that old .303. Stlll, the .303 unlike the Springfield is not a gun gains much by trying to customize and besides, it is not a 30-06.
    I put a synthetic stock on a nicely barreled 7MM Mauser, mounted a scope and replaced the old 98 trigger. I believe the receiver stamp shows that rifle was built over 100 years ago 1908! How many effective working tools are there that are still performing well after 100 years of use? That is one of the reasons to hang onto that rifle you love or have racked up great experiences using .... it is something that can be shared with future generations of your family. Imagine your Great Great Grandchild using that old Springfield knowing that it once belonged to you because you left a testament telling about yourself and how you used that rifle....... Damn, occasionally I stumble onto a good idea!!! The idea of a family member 100 years from now using my favorite hunting rifle and knowing something about me feels right and good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
      Nice to hear the old rifle is aging well along with you. Thank yo for responding. My first hunting rifle was a British .303 Jungle Carbine with its flip up graduated peep sight that had the battle full ring in the down position. Sold it to help pay for a .300 Win Mag my father and I bought from a pawn shop on 4th ave Anchorage, Alaska. I still have that rifle but wish I had cut a more firewood for cash rather than selling that old .303. Stlll, the .303 unlike the Springfield is not a gun gains much by trying to customize and besides, it is not a 30-06.
      I put a synthetic stock on a nicely barreled 7MM Mauser, mounted a scope and replaced the old 98 trigger. I believe the receiver stamp shows that rifle was built over 100 years ago 1908! How many effective working tools are there that are still performing well after 100 years of use? That is one of the reasons to hang onto that rifle you love or have racked up great experiences using .... it is something that can be shared with future generations of your family. Imagine your Great Great Grandchild using that old Springfield knowing that it once belonged to you because you left a testament telling about yourself and how you used that rifle....... Damn, occasionally I stumble onto a good idea!!! The idea of a family member 100 years from now using my favorite hunting rifle and knowing something about me feels right and good.
      I almost bought a Jungle Carbine at a gun show. Interesting rifle!

Comment

As you know, there are calibers that perform about as well as the .30-06 but with reduced recoil.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          As you know, there are calibers that perform about as well as the .30-06 but with reduced recoil.
          So far so good - killed a pig with it this past season

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            Yesterday, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X