Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am thinking of getting a New Rifle, a Ruger, model 77, in a 280 Remington. My friends are saying I should get it in a 270 Winc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking of getting a New Rifle, a Ruger, model 77, in a 280 Remington. My friends are saying I should get it in a 270 Winc

I am thinking of getting a New Rifle, a Ruger, model 77, in a 280 Remington. My friends are saying I should get it in a 270 Winchester. WHY?

Muzzle velocity/Muzzle energy for the .280 is about 3000 fps/2777 at 100 yds those numbers are 2804/2427
    200 yds 2617/2113, 300 yds 2437/1833
    For the .270 the numbers in the same order are:Muzzle 3060/2702 100 yds 2851/2345 200 yds 2651/2028 and 300 yds 2460/1746
    These are using the low end Hornady loads. For the light magnum Hornady factory loads
    .280 Muzzle 3110/2985, 100 yds 2909/2612
    200 yds 2718/2279, 300 yds 2534/1981

.270 Muzzle 3100/2987, 100 yds 2900/2614
    200 yds 2709/2280 300 yds 2525/1982

It's going to come down to personal preference. For those of us who really like the .270 (I am one) we will all think that our gun is better. I know a guy who swears by the .280 but he has numerous other character flaws, too. ;-)

Comment

I've never owned or shot a .280, but I really like my .270 and have killed dozens of deer and hogs with it. It's easy on my shoulder, hits where I point it and kills what I point it at---can't ask for more than that. Bo gave some great ballistic info, and you probably won't go wrong with either caliber. Good hunting.

Comment

i would probably go with the .270 it ha sbetter velocities and flies a bit flatter but not by much. jack o'connor swore by it and thats good enough for me.

Comment

Bo pretty much wraped it up again! I like how flat the 270 shoots myself.

Comment

There's not enough difference between the two. 270 is a smidge faster but the 280 gives you heavier bullets. I had the same problem so I got the 30-06 and have never given it a second thought.

Comment

Jack O'Connor once said that if he had no big game rifle at all, he would buy a .280 Rem., but for someone who already owned a .270 Win. there wasn't enough of a difference to warrant a switch.

Comment

.270s are everywhere and readily available, which is probably why your friends recommend it. Why not be a little different from the crowd and get an excellent caliber that you like.

Comment

My dad just bought a new Mossburg 100 ATR 270 package from Mills fleet farm for like $350 and it shoots like a million dollar gun!!!!!!! buy a 270 the fps is 2700 to 3100

Comment

i have a ruger 280 and i would not trade it for anything. i am a woman and it doesnt kick at all.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      Today, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X