Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've heard that it is not a good idea to buy a gun at Walmart. Is there any truth in that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've heard that it is not a good idea to buy a gun at Walmart. Is there any truth in that?

I've heard that it is not a good idea to buy a gun at Walmart. Is there any truth in that?

I don't see way not,I've bought guns from Wal-Mart before. It's not like they are made any different.

Comment

The guns are the same as you would find anywhere else, but nobody at walmart knows diddley about the guns and you'll get no service after the sale.

Comment

Don't expect anyone knowledgeable at WalMart, pineywoods is SO correct. Some years back, I had a guy there try to tell me the lighter the gun the less the kick, and then told me that I hadn't been shooting as long as he had. That being said, if you know what you want and they have it, it'll probably be cheaper there. I have seen Mossberg 500's for just over $200, that is not a synthetic stock. Just don't ask any questions because you have a 75% chance the info you are given is wrong.

Comment

All three of them make good points. The gun is the same as it is a any gun shop just a little cheaper. You will get blank stares and alot of this isn't my department let me call somone to help you which may or may not arrive. Ammo and gun selections are both limited.

Comment

I've bought guns there in the past and they are the same guns those manufacturers ship to any shop. However, In recent years I've stopped shopping at Walmart all together. About 99% of the things they sell are cheaply made Chinese crap. To make things worse their customer service is terrible. Why? Because their stuff is a little cheaper. Times are tough and I'd never criticize a family for economizing, but think about that and see if you think it's true also.

Comment

I was looking for a particular choke for my 870. I knew exactly what I wanted so I just asked if they had it. The guy actually working behind the counter in the Walmart gun department didn't know what a choke tube was or what it was used for. I don't think he even knew the difference between 12 & 20 gauge. I agree with the comments above. The only advantage to Walmart is IF you know what you want, & IF they actually have it, you can usually get it a little cheaper.

Comment

The local Wal-Mart where I live (Rome, N.Y.) no longer sells rifles or shotguns; due to being politically correct. They were selling muzzle loaders, but I seldom go to their sporting goods dept. anymore, so I'm not sure if they even sell those now. Ammo selection is next to nothing, not becuase of the so-called ammo shortage, but I believe it is they are being politically correct. I try to avoid Wally world as much as possible, because I am being politically correct too.

About the only reason(s) not to buy a gun at Wal-Mart can be: sales staff don't know much about guns - they get a lot of turn around in the sporting goods dept., nobody is ever in the dept. to help you, and being politically correct.

I would rather buy a firearm from a local independent firearm dealer and keep them in business rather than support a conglomerate.

Comment

Walmart has a very good return policy, EXCEPT for firearms. There are absolutely no returns on firearms for any reason. Look for a tiny sign on the rifle rack, or some inconspicuous place.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                    by Ernie
                    Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                  • Outdoor Life archives
                    by Scott123
                    Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                    10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                  • Blade Stain
                    by jhjimbo
                    Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                    10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                  • Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X