Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am a 15 year old boy and i am buying a gun this year. is there a good gun between $300 to $600 dollars that you can use for bo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am a 15 year old boy and i am buying a gun this year. is there a good gun between $300 to $600 dollars that you can use for bo

i am a 15 year old boy and i am buying a gun this year. is there a good gun between $300 to $600 dollars that you can use for both deer and turkey?

Are you looking for a rifle or shotgun? I have a Mossberg 535 that shoots both Remington Sluggers and 3.5" mag shot great...just swap out the chokes. It's also tapped for an easy scope mount that you can add/remove as the season requires. However, if you're looking for a rifle (for fall turkey)...I'm not sure there. I use a .22 Hornet and .270 respectively, neither of which would suite both types of game.

Comment

Another good shotgun for both types of game would be the Remington 870 Express Super Mag. You can set that gun up for all sorts. Would run you about $280 for the gun and another $100 or so for a slug barrel if you didn't buy it with that. Throw a scope on if wanted. You should be able to scope it for under $150.

Comment

When I moved to a shotgun only area I bought a mossberg 500 combo. It shoots 2 3/4 and 3" mag. It comes with a rifled slug barrell and a smooth with three interchangeable chokes. My rifled barrel holds 2" groups at 125 yrds with sabot slugs. it May do better than that but I haven't needed to try. After I bought rails and a scope, I was out the door for under $350. I bought it from Gander Mountian. This time of year they should have them stocked. This gun is great for any type of hunting you want to do from deer to small game.

Comment

I'm partial to the Mossberg 500. If you are lookin for a low recoil gun at a great price in either 20 ga or 12 ga. I recommend this gun you can pick up a 500 with a field barrel and a slug barrel combo.

With modern ammo such as Federal Turkey loads with flight control wads a 20ga will give the performance you want without the recoil.

Do you have any local sporting goods stores in your are? Gander, Bass Pro are great places to find guns but sometimes you can get the same gun at a local vendor or even Wal Mart cheaper. Same gun and the extra $$ can get you more ammo.

Comment

well it depends on a rifle or shotgun i like remington a 870 express is a good gun you can pick them up fairly cheap. and as for rifles i like a remington 700 in a 243 for dear and turkey you can get 65 grain loads for turkey and the heavier bullets for deer

Comment

I am with 86Ram, I like the Mossberg 500. If you buy the 12, you can get a muzzle loader barrel to put on it and a slug barrel, and should be able to stay under the $600 when you buy all three, if you shop around. WalMart was charging just over $200 just for the gun, I bought a slug barrel for, I think $125.
              Check it out.

Comment

Bo return that barrel go on Mossbergs website print out the MSRP for that same barrel. You can go to Bass Pro or Gander they Price match and will match it for the Manufatureres MSRP. I bought my Smoothbotre slugster then saw it cheaper on the Mossberg website I called Bass pro took my barrel and the printed MSRP from the web Got the difference reimbursed.

Also, the AccuII Chokes live up to their names. They're good chokes and pattern very very nicely. Both the Full and Xtra full chokes.

Comment

86Ram, I bought that rifled slug barrel years ago, I believe I ordered it from Mossberg, it is a Mossberg manufacture, and don't have a clue how many rounds have gone through it, but it is a bunch. Have a red dot sight mounted on it, it is ready whenever I want it. It is a pretty accurate little set up. It would be too much work to change it now, but thanks.

Comment

Bo,
                    I thought you might've bought the barrel recently.
                    I bought one recently myself manufactured by Mossberg but sold at Bass Pro. Thought if I could save another hunter a buck I'd try.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, guys. They have really helped!!

Comment

i hear alot of mossberg comments i am happy to hear that as i quite like mossberg i am also a young hunter its good to learn some new stuff about slug gun hunting

Comment

taylor1,
                          We all learn somethin new everyday and we learn from each other thru shared experiences.... when it's your turn remember to pass it on to the next generation.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                          • Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                            by dewman
                            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                            by Ernie
                            Any handgun hunters here?
                            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X