Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have noticed while watching hunting TV, A lot of the hunters are using single shots rifles. Whats up with that? What happed to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have noticed while watching hunting TV, A lot of the hunters are using single shots rifles. Whats up with that? What happed to

I have noticed while watching hunting TV, A lot of the hunters are using single shots rifles. Whats up with that? What happed to the Lever Action, Pump action, and the Semi Auto? Single Shot went out in the 1800's

Actually they didn't. Single shots are not a bad option. It teaches you to be more selective about your shots. Too many people who hunt use way too much ammo. They take shots they shouldn't because they feel, "I've got 4 more in my gun."
    You won't take those bad shots when you know that one has to count. There is also a matter of pride in bringing back a real nice deer, elk, etc. and knowing you dropped it with one shot. For the last 8 deer I killed. I fired a total of 9 rounds. That one round was a bad shot and didn't even touch the deer.

Comment

The ability change barrels is probally a big booster in sales, you can have a muzzleloader,rimfire, and centerfire rifle all in one package and their low maintence, light to carry and easy on the wallet.Hunting open plains or fields is best suited to the single shot...meanwhile personally I carry a multi shot rifle when hunting thicker brush, deer drives or in bear country.Unfortunatly unlucky things happen during hunts, game may suddenly move, a hidden limb or twig may slightly deflect a sure kill into a marginal hit or a complete miss, nice to have the second shot option

Comment

I think the single shot rifle companies are sponsoring the shows and providing the rifles for the hunters. I always have, and will continue to use my favorite bolt action rifles for deer. On a few occasions I've been able to kill a buck and a doe---bang,bang---and couldn't have done that with a single shot. (It's legal here.) As bigjake said, things happen in the woods and it's good to have that second or third shot quickly available.

Comment

I prefer my bolt action. You never know when you may need that next round and it's already in the gun. No fumbling with ammo pouches, pockets or loading.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake View Post
            The ability change barrels is probally a big booster in sales, you can have a muzzleloader,rimfire, and centerfire rifle all in one package and their low maintence, light to carry and easy on the wallet.Hunting open plains or fields is best suited to the single shot...meanwhile personally I carry a multi shot rifle when hunting thicker brush, deer drives or in bear country.Unfortunatly unlucky things happen during hunts, game may suddenly move, a hidden limb or twig may slightly deflect a sure kill into a marginal hit or a complete miss, nice to have the second shot option
            All good points

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
              I think the single shot rifle companies are sponsoring the shows and providing the rifles for the hunters. I always have, and will continue to use my favorite bolt action rifles for deer. On a few occasions I've been able to kill a buck and a doe---bang,bang---and couldn't have done that with a single shot. (It's legal here.) As bigjake said, things happen in the woods and it's good to have that second or third shot quickly available.
              Single shots are perfectly fine in most situations

Comment

Originally posted by 86Ram View Post
                I prefer my bolt action. You never know when you may need that next round and it's already in the gun. No fumbling with ammo pouches, pockets or loading.
                A little training / practice will help you keep from fumbling a reload.

Comment

Treestand, single-shot rifles are many times more lethal than single shot bows and crossbows. I occasionally use a single shot for deer and pigs and have no complaints.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    Treestand, single-shot rifles are many times more lethal than single shot bows and crossbows. I occasionally use a single shot for deer and pigs and have no complaints.
                    Used the Hornady 325 grain FTX factory load

Comment

My brother killed his first Cape Buffalo with a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H. He'd practiced fast reloading repeatedly at home before taking the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        My brother killed his first Cape Buffalo with a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H. He'd practiced fast reloading repeatedly at home before taking the trip.
                        Pighuntress and I have several single-shot Handi Rifles. (243, 308, 30-06, 45-70, 357 Mag)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                          by Scott123
                          Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                          Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                        • Blade Stain
                          by jhjimbo
                          Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                          Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                        • Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X