Sporterifle Time Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporterifle Time Again

First off, a link to the Sporterifle League website for anyone curious.

https://www.sporterifle.org/

We got involved with this through our local club at the tail end of the 2015-2016 season when the Kid turned 12. Because of NY laws he wasn’t able to compete before then. We shot in the last 5 matches to get an idea of what it was about then picked up a couple CZ rifles going into 2016-‘17. When my daughter turned twelve two years later she wanted to join us so my wife decided she’d get involved so we could all do it as a family. Can’t say it hasn’t had it’s moments of unpleasantness but has surpassed my expectations of what we’d get out of it. We have a perfect attendance record going back to the beginning, haven’t missed a regular match in all that time.

Anyway, we picked back up last weekend minus the Kid. He’ll join us when he can over breaks but he won’t get enough matches in to qualify for prizes at the end of the year. Possibly he might for the special Holiday Shoot at mid season between semesters. It was odd not having him on the line, even my sister in law commented about it.

Over the years I’ve struggled to improve much. After 21 matches over the course of a season my average always lands in the high 260’s. When I tank, I tank hard. Typically I’ll have two nights over the course of a season that absolutely kill my average. It’s tough to shoot 15-20 points over to make up for a bad night. Ten points over is a great night but they don’t happen often, only 2-3 times have I ever shot over a 280 and it felt automatic on those occasions. No idea why. The last couple years I’ve been dealing with target panic more than I’d like. When the rifle comes up I can feel myself tense. It’s a mental thing.

My wife rides a roller coaster more than I do. She does have some vision issues that don’t help but as with me it’s as much the mental game, except for her she starts overthinking her mechanics and loses her focus on her sight picture.

My kids and sister in law have been on fire in their progress. I rarely can beat any of them and if I do it’s by a just point or two. It will be interesting to see just how much rust the Kid has once he’s able to get on the line.

We go in last Sunday none of us having shot our .22’s since March, a six month layoff. Needless to say we weren’t optimistic but things went better than expected.

My wife only shot a 230, well over 20 points below her average. She had PRK surgery on her shooting eye over the summer, similar to Lazix but more involved and a longer healing process. She is now 20/20 in that eye but had to change over to regular shooting glasses instead of her prescription ones. She actually didn’t do too bad except for two shots she pulled off the scoring rings. Again, the mental side of it.

My sister in law picked up right where she was last season with a 278. Could have been a 280+ but she pulled one into the white rings on her second target.

My daughter was consistent over the three targets with a 91, 93 and 90 for a 274. I’d have to go back through the records but I believe she’s on par or even a little ahead of her brother’s pace the last couple seasons. If she keeps it up she may overtake him adjusting for age. He has perfect eyesight, maybe even better, while she wears contacts. I’m hoping she busts out this year and gets a little limelight of her own. She’s definitely showing the potential.

The first full season I shot just under a 265 average. That next year my goal was to get over that mark since it would put me into the next bracket of shooters. I accomplished that and have been aiming for 270 ever since. That’s not great shooting but solid. I figure if I can hit a 10 for every 8 and keep the rest 9’s it should keep me plenty sharp for hunting. Plus it makes shooting off a bench seem easy.

I started out a little rough. Didn’t help that the battery for the illuminated dot reticle in my scope was dead. Not only had I neglected checking at home but I’d also forgot to throw a couple extra spares into the range bag as I’d actually thought about doing while starting to pack up.

Going into our practice round I could feel myself getting tense. I’ve tried to convince myself that it doesn’t matter but there’s something about shooting for score that gets into my subconscious. I ended up with an 88 due to two 7’s. Not horrible considering the two muffs. My first match target was a contradiction of the practice round, I only scored an 86 but kept them all in the black. Just too many 8’s. One positive was I seemed to be getting a decent sight picture. My nerves had settled a bit and I was able to at least focus through the normal wobble better. My second target was my best in awhile with a 95, six 10’s, one 8 and three 9’s. A got a bit worked up going into the third target knowing I should hit my 270 mark if I didn’t screw up. Kept it under control with 9’s and a few 10’s until the forth bull when it looked like I pulled two 8’s. That left me with two shots for the fifth and final bull. The pressure was on. As I pulled the trigger for shot 29 I watched the white dot in the ten ring vaporize. Exactly what you want except for the fact that the aiming point for the final one was gone. I held as best I could and fired an acceptable 9. Turned out on bull 4 one of the shots broke the 9 line and I ended up with a 91 giving me a 272 total. That’s actually about how I started out last season before a terrible week 3. Mid season I kinda treaded water then slowly picked it up toward the end, just too late to salvage my average. I don’t expect to break 270 every week but hopefully can keep it together enough to always stay above 260.

I’ll keep updating on the season if anyone wants to follow along.

I follow this pretty close. Me and the buds talk about doing something like this ourselves but it’s hard to get together much after the seasons kick in. Some occasional pics of your gear and targets would also be welcomed.
    Would like to offer my condolences on the squirrel as well

Comment

I've been having troubles with the 16-yard round at trap league. Ive actually been shooting the HCP rounds the same or better than the closer yardage. I'm sure I have all sorts or problems from being self taught.

Comment

Just read the rules. Sounds like fun. Maybe I'll buy a pad of A-32s and give it a try.

I shoot a CZ 452 trainer. Used to do pretty well in a NRA type rimfire league we had. I shot open sights, used to do better than some with scopes, but there were always "those people" that rocked it pretty hard.

I could always console myself that I was the best open sight shooter, but there weren't too many of us anyway. And the CZ sights kinda felt like cheating.

Y'all shoot open sights or scopes? Maybe we should do a OL postage match. Im alway up for getting beat in yet another shooting discipline.

When people ask me what i shoot best, I tell them I'm an "all-rounder." Meaning my shots are all around what I'm aiming at.

Comment

Pay attention to what you eat/ drink and when.
          ​That can affect focus and stability.

Learned that shooting archery.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post

This is true, last pheasant season I was trying to crack lobster claws and drink boilermakers while I was blocking a field. Ended up missing an easy shot and getting foxtail in the drawn butter. Kinda a mess.

Comment

I reworked the rules for an OL League, if anyone is interested:
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Been sitting here for ten minutes with the little blue line flashing at me with the words “write something” in the reply box.

Yeah, right.

Comment

that bad, huh?

Comment

Bad? Sure, if you mean like going to a strip joint and having the dancers stuff money into your pockets kind of bad.

Comment

Well, just me being a smartass, as usual. I did order a 50-pk of NRA targets. I'll give it a try (using the real rules) and let you know how gruesome it is.

Comment

I read the amended rules while my daughter and I were sitting in the car waiting on my wife to finish at work. She asked me three times what was so funny when I’d laugh out loud. Be assured from the looks she gave me your efforts weren’t in vain.

Our team’s top shooter is a gal in her late 30’s who uses a very customized 10/22 with target sights. She uses the same rifle for both team competition and the individual iron sight league, they are shot separately not combined. She’s says one advantage is not being able to see bullet holes from previous shots on target.

I should buy a stack of the targets myself to shoot from other field positions just for score comparison.

Looking forward to your results.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post

Yeah, we’ve noticed that. The Kid doesn’t like shooting on an empty stomach but I don’t like heading to the range right after a heavy dinner. I try not to load up on caffeine right before either.

Comment

I always shot strong about 30 mins after I ate a medium meal.
                            Not too heavy.

Caffeine never affected me, might now though.

Comment

I always bring water when I go to the range. I shoot best when I’m comfortable & have a clear mind. If I have stuff going on in my head or I’m full/hungry I do noticeably worse. Good there’s a “facility “ at the range.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget