Turns out it was the rings- but the scope is still broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns out it was the rings- but the scope is still broken

Noticed the Millet rings and bases don't fit my model 7 right and torquing them down is probably what damaged my Burris scope. Scope has been sent back and Talley lightweights ordered for the 243. (Model 7) Whatever I get back from Burris I'll try on the BMR again or sell it and get a dedicated rimfire scope. Not sure I can live with a gloss scope on a completely camouflaged rifle though. Oh well, I'll get it figured out. Haven't done any squirreling yet but if I go I'll probably use one of my 20ga. anyway, just too thick this year.
    Stay safe

It’s better to know what happened when something went haywire than not. I’ll be interested to know how Burris takes care of you.

Maybe I don’t shoot enough but the only issue I’ve ever encountered with either scopes or mounts was when the dovetail bases slipped on my wife’s 455. I’d used a torque wrench to tighten them so the only thing I can think of was it being a stainless steel action, slicker maybe? Remounted the scope using the same technique and haven’t had a problem since. Dunno…

Good luck!

Comment

Got some Talley's on the 243 so it's good to go. IMG_2833.jpg Work on the BMR next.

Comment

For future reference, is the front ring reversible? The 700 I put together for my daughter really isn’t a good fit for her so I’m keeping options open for a better replacement. The ring spacing looks good there but it might not work with a shorter tube.

A few years back, maybe two years before my daughter was old enough to hunt big game, a guy had two M7’s exactly like yours at a gun show NIB for $425. I hemmed and hawed but walked away. Knew better but wasn’t sure she’d like that camo.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          For future reference, is the front ring reversible? The 700 I put together for my daughter really isn’t a good fit for her so I’m keeping options open for a better replacement. The ring spacing looks good there but it might not work with a shorter tube.

A few years back, maybe two years before my daughter was old enough to hunt big game, a guy had two M7’s exactly like yours at a gun show NIB for $425. I hemmed and hawed but walked away. Knew better but wasn’t sure she’d like that camo.
          Not sure of your question. No you can't swap front with back, but you can always turn any base to fit the direction you want. A model 7 is so short an action that you can run the scope up over the grip if you want.
          With gun prices the way they are, any gun you did not buy a few years ago looks like a badly missed opportunity. Seen these in the $1,000 - $1,200 range,used. Ridiculous.

Comment

Yeah, turning the front base was what I meant.

Comment

Got my scope back today. They replaced the elevation turrant as it was not tracking consistently. Windage maxed out.(thats on me) Knew those bases and rings were screwed up. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ to Burris. Still going to sell it as I have no present use for it and it's too nice to just let sit. I'll make a few calls and offer it for $100. I'm sure I'll find somebody wanting it.

Comment

Great to hear Burris took care of you, seemingly quick as well.

With today’s current economic situation I hope you find someone who could really benefit from your generosity and put it to good use. 👍

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget