243 Odyssey & squirrel prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 243 Odyssey & squirrel prep

Went to youngest daughters graduation these last 3 days in Hannibal. (Masters from HLG). On the return trip stopped in a mom & pop convenience store. Glanced and saw they had some rifle shells, some Federal Fusions to be precise. Alas, no 7mm-08 but they did have 4 boxes of 243 for $24.95 a box. I bought them. When I got home I dug out my 243 . I remembered the Burris predator quest scope on it had a peculiar reticle, the arms don't go to the edge of the glass. This would be perfect on my BMR for squirrels. Swapped scopes. The 4x Leupold will work on my model 7 for now. What's important is how wicked my BMR is. Stay safe. IMG_2809.jpg IMG_2813.jpg IMG_2811.jpg

First, congratulations to your daughter and to you as well! Best wishes for a happy and successful future!

That’s a fair price for the Fusions, I paid $19.95/ box for the same exact loads several years ago when things were …..well…. let’s just say less uncertain.

I’m still kinda kicking myself a bit, back in ‘17 or ‘18 I was at one of the Syracuse gun shows and a guy had two new M7 Predators in .243 for $425 each. Why I didn’t pick one up for my daughter I have no idea. Guess I had it in my head to stick with the 700’s. Stupid me.

What power range is the Burris? Other than the graphics it looks a lot like the 4.5-14x42 E1 I bought the Kid for his .222. A guy on 24Hr Campfire posted a link for a close out sale on the regular Ballistic Plex reticle that was discontinued.

​​

What the box doesn’t show is the side focus that goes down to 50 yards. (I just looked and the PQ 4.5-14x42 has the same feature) Your scope should indeed be a great fit for the Bergara.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      First, congratulations to your daughter and to you as well! Best wishes for a happy and successful future!

That’s a fair price for the Fusions, I paid $19.95/ box for the same exact loads several years ago when things were …..well…. let’s just say less uncertain.

I’m still kinda kicking myself a bit, back in ‘17 or ‘18 I was at one of the Syracuse gun shows and a guy had two new M7 Predators in .243 for $425 each. Why I didn’t pick one up for my daughter I have no idea. Guess I had it in my head to stick with the 700’s. Stupid me.

What power range is the Burris? Other than the graphics it looks a lot like the 4.5-14x42 E1 I bought the Kid for his .222. A guy on 24Hr Campfire posted a link for a close out sale on the regular Ballistic Plex reticle that was discontinued.

​​

What the box doesn’t show is the side focus that goes down to 50 yards. (I just looked and the PQ 4.5-14x42 has the same feature) Your scope should indeed be a great fit for the Bergara.
      Thank you on behalf of my daughter. She has a job offer she likes in Springfield.(less than 20 minutes from the home Bass Pro!)
      I am still lukewarm on a 243 for bigger well furred deer despite its popularity. I might use it during doe season this year to let the fusions have a chance to change my mind. My scope is a 3x9, no side focus, with an E1 reticle.
      The Fusions I saw in Springfield were $42.99 a box , for 223&308 only. These 243 were the ones not moly coated(remember Milldawg s question concerning them on F&S?)
      Last edited by dewman; 05-17-2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I don’t have much experience with the Burris lines but have noticed they seem to use several similar features in the FF II, E1 and Droptine models. It’s like they’re all the same basic scope with different combinations of parts without rhyme or reason. No complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          I don’t have much experience with the Burris lines but have noticed they seem to use several similar features in the FF II, E1 and Droptine models. It’s like they’re all the same basic scope with different combinations of parts without rhyme or reason. No complaints.
          Agree. I get that vibe as well. I decided to use it on my BMR instead of the 4x (even though I think it would be fine) because I had tried my BMR at my Bergara buddies place with his 8x32x50 with Eley tenex and we both believe I have something special. He says I could easily win any F class (?) with it. With the E1 reticle setup of the Burris I can aim small and precise. It will be too hot to go to range for awhile, the concrete benches are uncovered and will peel the skin off you on a hot day. The bugs love it though.
          Last edited by dewman; 05-18-2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

WELL CRAP. Went to the range. My BMR shot all over with the 4 brands of 22 I brought. Got disgusted and put it up, pulling out my 243 with just a 4x Leupold. Without really setting up it put 3 under 1" IMG_2817.jpg . What the heck? Took that 4x off and swapped it over onto my BMR. Stacking them at 50yds. All this time I thought my model 7 was mediocre accurate, turns out the Burris Predator Quest scope was a POS right out of the box. Think I'll try either a Sig Sauer whiskey 3 or a Vortex crossfire2 on my 243 this fall.
            Last edited by dewman; 05-24-2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Too bad on the scope, seemed like a good fit fit the Bergara. Are you going to try out Burris Customer Service? On the plus side at least you didn’t let the M7 go down the road for the wrong reason.

I’m thinking whatever scope you decide on Leupold QR rings might be useful on the BMR. With an extra set you could check any other scope that you suspect might be wonky without fussing around much. Or even switch back and forth with a variable and the 4X.

I had a Crossfire II and won’t buy another. IF I buy another Chinese scope it won’t be in that price point. The Sig’s seem to have a better reputation. No experience with the brand but one of SWFA’s offerings might just be your huckleberry. You have me tempted to get a BMR for myself and I’d seriously consider trying out one of the Super Chickens for longer range target shooting and squirrel sniping.

Comment

I had a Crossfire II and won’t buy another. IF I buy another Chinese scope it won’t be in that price point. The Sig’s seem to have a better reputation. No experience with the brand but one of SWFA’s offerings might just be your huckleberry. You have me tempted to get a BMR for myself and I’d seriously consider trying out one of the Super Chickens for longer range target shooting and squirrel sniping. [/QUOTE]

Noted: Crossfire ll off the list. (Though I think it's Dakotamans rimfire choice?)
                Will check out SWFA's offerings.
                For my needs my 4x Leupold would be fine on my BMR but my Bergara buddy is apoplectic. He wants me to trade him or sell him mine so bad he can't stand it. I tell him it was from my boy but he doesn't accept that. They HAVE to have a suppressor, the triggers Have to be worked on, the bolt handle Has to be switched for a big round ball, scopes Have to be at least 18x, and when they become available, the stock Has to be swapped and pillar bedded. Leaving mine stock is unbelievable to him. He's dogged me at the gun store where we bought them. He belabored his point around my shooting pals so much he's alienated pretty much all of them. Won't be invited with us again I believe. I've also noticed most of these websites I frequent seem to have at least a few know it alls.
                On the fun side, my squirrel hunting pal "B" is the one who put an orange laminate spike camp (Boyds) on his model 7 and painted his Vortex diamond back to match. Also got Bergara buddy rolling his eyes and shaking his head.😉😝
                Last edited by dewman; 05-24-2022, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I'm sending it back (still have box) then when I get it back with the accompanying letter saying they repaired, replaced, or no issues, I'll sell it with a clear conscience. Cheap.

Comment

Scopes these days have become a real crap shoot.
                    I've got a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9×40 on my AR10.
                    It has killed deer, but I wouldn't haul it to a bench rest match.
                    I'm not even sure the Leupold "Freedom" series are living up to the Leupold name and reputation.
                    I suppose in today's economy, if you can't swing $300/$400 on a scope.....?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      Scopes these days have become a real crap shoot.
                      I've got a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9×40 on my AR10.
                      It has killed deer, but I wouldn't haul it to a bench rest match.
                      I'm not even sure the Leupold "Freedom" series are living up to the Leupold name and reputation.
                      I suppose in today's economy, if you can't swing $300/$400 on a scope.....?
                      So true. It's what I've been thinking myself.

Comment

Had a chance at a Zeiss 3-9×40 many moons back. An archery shop was closing it's firearms section and it was on clearance for $500. That was 2002. Got busy with a house sale and moving and never made it back.
                        My bad! ☹
                        Oh well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Beater .44 mag
                          by CD2
                          My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                          Today, 11:42 AM
                        • Eatin ‘chuck
                          by dewman
                          Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                          Yesterday, 07:19 PM
                        • Parallax adj
                          by CD2
                          Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                          08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                        • TriggerTech installed
                          by fitch270
                          First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                          08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                        • Aquila ammo test
                          by dewman
                          Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                          Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                          08-05-2022, 05:11 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X