Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spent some time at the reloading bench

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spent some time at the reloading bench

    I left off with the .270 last summer having worked up to a few grains below max for the components I’m using. I finally had some time this afternoon where I felt like I wouldn’t be rushed so got back at it. I have a bunch of Win and Rem brass prepped but decided to just reload the same brass I’d used earlier since I’m still in work up mode. I had 14 Rem cases and 3 Win cases so I loaded up 7 of the Rem and the 3 Win cases where I’d left off and loaded the other 7 Rem’s a half grain higher. So far I haven’t seen any difference between the two brands over the chrono so if these last loads give the same results as before I’m calling it good. The last group was right about MOA, a bit better than 100fps faster than similar factory loads and still under max book velocity with no pressure signs.

    When the weather breaks we have these rounds to try out plus the new scope from Christmas on the Kid’s .222 to sight in. I also have the .22-250 to sight back in before trying out the loads I worked up for it last year. I’d changed the mounting position on that one to get the eye relief better but never got around to shooting it again. If I find another gloss scope for my old .243 I’ll need to dial that in as well.

    Think Spring fellas!

  • #2
    March is Crappie time around here. So far haven't gotten the urge to go. Going to be upper 50's all week, a day or 2 in the mid-upper 60's. Maybe that'll do it. 🐟🎣

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      I left off with the .270 last summer having worked up to a few grains below max for the components I’m using. I finally had some time this afternoon where I felt like I wouldn’t be rushed so got back at it. I have a bunch of Win and Rem brass prepped but decided to just reload the same brass I’d used earlier since I’m still in work up mode. I had 14 Rem cases and 3 Win cases so I loaded up 7 of the Rem and the 3 Win cases where I’d left off and loaded the other 7 Rem’s a half grain higher. So far I haven’t seen any difference between the two brands over the chrono so if these last loads give the same results as before I’m calling it good. The last group was right about MOA, a bit better than 100fps faster than similar factory loads and still under max book velocity with no pressure signs.

      When the weather breaks we have these rounds to try out plus the new scope from Christmas on the Kid’s .222 to sight in. I also have the .22-250 to sight back in before trying out the loads I worked up for it last year. I’d changed the mounting position on that one to get the eye relief better but never got around to shooting it again. If I find another gloss scope for my old .243 I’ll need to dial that in as well.

      Think Spring fellas!
      I don’t have a .270 but I have quite a bit of .30-06 brass, mostly Federal and R-P. I’ve measured the case capacity of the R-P brass, R-P nickel plated, and Fed and the difference is neglible. I haven’t measured any Win cases but load them at starting loads for an M-1 Garand that eats up the rims on soft commercial brass. One and off to recycle.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
        I don’t have a .270 but I have quite a bit of .30-06 brass, mostly Federal and R-P. I’ve measured the case capacity of the R-P brass, R-P nickel plated, and Fed and the difference is neglible. I haven’t measured any Win cases but load them at starting loads for an M-1 Garand that eats up the rims on soft commercial brass. One and off to recycle.
        Thanks WaM, good to know. My brass supply consists mostly of Rem, Win and Fed with some Hornady and Nosler as well. At some point I’ll get around to measuring capacity but trying to keep it simple for now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

          Thanks WaM, good to know. My brass supply consists mostly of Rem, Win and Fed with some Hornady and Nosler as well. At some point I’ll get around to measuring capacity but trying to keep it simple for now.
          An easy way I measure case capacity is to take fired cases with spent primer still in and fill the case with a fine grain ball powder like Big Game or Hunter, CFE223, Accurate 2460, or any real small granule powder, clear case mouth with a business card, then transfer that quantity to the next case and check the difference back and forth several times over a catch tray. Any huge differences should separate the cases by brand, etc. less messy than water.

          Comment


          • #6
            fitch270, you may already know this, but necking down a .30-06 case will give you a "short" .270 case.
            At one time, I had a butt load of once fired "Lake City" '06 cases.
            Because LC brass is so good, I just sucked it up and used it.
            I can't tell that there was any ill effects or difference in load performance.

            Comment


            • #7
              fitch270, a .30-06 necked down to .270 will give you a short .270 case. Probably by 1/8" to 3/16". Side by side, the difference is obvious.
              I've used a lot of '06 cases resized to .270 and I haven't noticed and rifle damage or difference in load performance.

              Comment


              • #8
                FB; I’m in pretty good shape brass wise thanks to a couple fellas so I shouldn’t need to reform any. But yeah, it’s good to have options available.

                Comment

                Welcome!

                Collapse

                Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                Right Rail 1 Ad

                Collapse

                Top Active Users

                Collapse

                There are no top active users.

                Right Rail 2 Ad

                Collapse

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                • Gun show today
                  by fitch270
                  Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                  08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                • Beater .44 mag
                  by CD2
                  My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

                  I inherited...
                  08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                • Eatin ‘chuck
                  by dewman
                  Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                  08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                • Parallax adj
                  by CD2
                  Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

                  Bud never came for scope and...
                  08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                • TriggerTech installed
                  by fitch270
                  First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

                  Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                  08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

                Right Rail 3 Ad

                Collapse

                Footer Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X