No announcement yet.

Sibling Rivalry at the Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the blue...my middle daughter, wants to go shoot.....ARs.

WTH?

Told her better would be her and the FAL.

Thunderstorms today so proly go to club tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
      Fitch,

Face it man...young eyes are gonna beat ya.
      Just the way it is

🤣
      Agree 100%

Comment

My vision degraded to 20/15 in my mid 40s.
        was 20/20 a couple yrs ago. Not anymore!

I need readers now and some days a light scrip.for.distance. Makes things look freshly painted LOL.

But some days i do better at distance without my glasses.

My kids all wear glassss/ contacts. Even so theyve got young muscles and other eye features, so when we hit the range it would not surprise me to see em shoot better than me.

They better bring their A game though.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
          Is your league bench, prone or offhand?

Whatever gremlin is in my head he aint leaving.

Indoor, 50’ offhand. I have the same gremlin working OT, he’s short circuiting the connection between my eyes and trigger finger way too often, lol!

Comment

CD2, shooting AR's ain't a bad "thang". They're alot of fun!

Comment

Our league was 25 yards w only a front bag.
              i havent shot 50.ft offhand for score since HS.

Was a short n scrawny kid then.
              Can rest my elbow on a custom built shelf now ( belly )

🤣🤣🤣

Comment

It rained so no club range shooting. Indoor range was doing inventory ( closed ).

Like shooting my .308 more than .223.
                But not at a dollar a pop.

Shoulder been ouchy. Did 2.days of rubber band PT to open the joint.
                Last edited by CD2; 12-28-2021, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Turns out my daughter and I both picked up a point last week when the team captain checked the targets. So I actually beat The Kid by one.

Tonight we shot a special Holiday Shoot where we send in the targets to the league for scoring, we’re not allowed to mess with them other than a quick look. It’s an individual match not a team deal. I tanked again.😡

My daughter on the other hand shot a new personal best of at least a 278, maybe higher if she caught a couple lines that aren’t obvious to the naked eye. The Kid shot at least a 285. Possible they’ll win prizes for the special match.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                    Turns out my daughter and I both picked up a point last week when the team captain checked the targets. So I actually beat The Kid by one.

Tonight we shot a special Holiday Shoot where we send in the targets to the league for scoring, we’re not allowed to mess with them other than a quick look. It’s an individual match not a team deal. I tanked again.😡

My daughter on the other hand shot a new personal best of at least a 278, maybe higher if she caught a couple lines that aren’t obvious to the naked eye. The Kid shot at least a 285. Possible they’ll win prizes for the special match.
                    Good luck to your offspring F270. If they both win something that would be a great start to the year. Sounds like they are both becoming "one" with their guns when it counts. Looks like they are at a point where they would have sound input on what works for them and what may be needed to be tweaked, or not.
                    As for you, I can only make 2 guesses. Either there is a piece of equipment, perhaps the rifle itself, that you are fighting, or its lack of focus which is easy to have in this world. By fighting the gun I also am including that perhaps your rifle doesn't like its ammo diet. Unlike most centerfires, rimfire ammo aversion doesn't consist of large groups as much as regularly throwing fliers. This can be mistaken as shooter error. Easily checked. Off a rock solid bench at 25yds, not 50', shoot 10shot groups. Clean no more often than you would before, during, or after a match. Look for beautiful groups , which you should have, with unexplained flyers. 3shot and 5shot won't tell you anything. Neither will 1 or 2 groups. You need at least 5 groups. 50 rounds shot on a nice day, with no distractions, taking your time, will settle the "is it me or is it the gun" question once and for all.
                    Congratulations to your kids, stay safe, and aim smaller yet!😀
                    Last edited by dewman; 01-03-2022, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I shot one 25 in trap and a couple of 24s but 19s and 20s galore. I shot expert in basic trading with the M-14 and barely qualified with the M-16 we transitioned to in AIT. Couldn’t hit the 350 and 400 yard targets until one of the SP4 range guys leaned down and told me to hold at the bottom of the target and let the richocet or gravel hit the pop up target. Worked almost every time.

Comment

She shot a new personal best 279 tonight, tied the kid although technically he wins on a tie break by having the higher 3’rd target.

I scored just 266. Six 8’s with three 9’s and only one 10 on my second target hurt bad. Pulled one 7 on my third that didn’t help either. Managed a 93 on the first and a 91 for the warm up so it wasn’t all bad.

Comment

👍👍 to your daughter, that's some pretty good shooting. Um, shouldn't your shooting be getting BETTER the more you shoot? 🤔 Seems like you are sliding the other way pal. Surely you must have some thoughts as to why? Do you do a lot of coaching during a shoot so you aren't getting time to focus on your own shooting? Everyone else seems to be in their groove, odd man out seems to be pa Fitch. Hang tuff. Aim smaller, shoot tighter.(check your glasses) 😀😀😀😁

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                            👍👍 to your daughter, that's some pretty good shooting. Um, shouldn't your shooting be getting BETTER the more you shoot? 🤔 Seems like you are sliding the other way pal. Surely you must have some thoughts as to why? Do you do a lot of coaching during a shoot so you aren't getting time to focus on your own shooting? Everyone else seems to be in their groove, odd man out seems to be pa Fitch. Hang tuff. Aim smaller, shoot tighter.(check your glasses) 😀😀😀😁
                            Once we had the range safety rules down cold I stopped paying attention to the rest of my crew. The kids have progressed mostly on their own. Same for my sister in law who has been shooting lights out this season. What few suggestions I would offer usually were better received by my daughter as you can imagine. The Kid always took it as criticism so eventually I just stopped. It was probably the best thing I could have done apparently. About the only real credit I can take is putting decent equipment in their hands and getting them started.

I tend to average that 266. I rollercoaster above and below but always end up about 267 +/- at the end of the year. Mostly get in my own head, what I really need to do is shoot more often over the summer. Not high volume, maybe ten shots at a match target a couple times a week instead of 40 shots once a week. Work on mechanics, concentration and learning to relax rather than worry about score.

Comment

Fitch: That could work. Remember the established regimen for bow hunting. Shoot a few every night to muscle condition. Concentrate on every shot as though it's the only one you'll get.(with a bow it well could be). Practice enough and your muscle memory will override your brains restlessness and your body will be in the zone.
                              If you have a competitive nature then your practice needs to reflect that. Besides, if you truly love shooting you should WANT to shoot more, shouldn't get to a point of needing to.

Comment

So I work a good part of today, take a quick nap this afternoon then we go in to shoot this evening. I’m not expecting much after shooting an ok 269 last week but somehow managed a 276 tonight. Shot an 89, 95 and 92 after warming up with a 95 practice target. Pulled one 7 on the second shot of my last target but put it behind me and finished out decent. First target wasn’t horrible but had three 8’s that just missed the 9 ring. Felt pretty good overall.

The Kid shot a 285, my daughter still beat me with a 277.

Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget